The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to save the error log?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xperplay, Jul 26, 2012.

1. xperplay

xperplay Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am on a shared server, no access to WHM. My error log in Cpanel is getting flushed very quickly. I want to be able to save my errors to a file for later viewing, is this possible at all? I do not seem to have access to the error log file itself and from my searching I got the impression it is one log file for all the users on the server.

My error_log in public_html shows completely different errors than cpanel and has not had an error in months but I am getting daily errors in the error log in cpanel.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you provide an example error you are seeing in the error log that isn't showing in your account's error log in public_html?

As for saving it, we don't actually have a method to save the log files at this point, but you might ask your provider if they would be willing to go through the Apache error log to find your domain entries to provide them to you.

3. xperplay

xperplay Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    In the cpanel error log I get some 403 and 404 errors. crawlers looking for sitemap with wrong name , missing images... Haven't figured out the 403 yet but it's an occasional error coming form my Contact Form.

The error_log in public_html had some errors from months ago and these where from when I was testing out a new php script. Since I posted this thread originally I deleted the error_log file and it has not been recreated since. The error_log file should be recreated once there is an error, correct?

I'm still getting errors in the error log in cpanel every day and I am sure I am not seeing all of them as the errors only last 3-4 hours on the error log before they are cleared.

The server I am on is heavily shared, and no way is my host going to do anything helpful.

It would be nice to have an option in Cpanel to write errors to file. If it can read them it should be able to write them...

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The PHP error log might well not be recreated if there are new errors, but these errors don't appear to be PHP-based ones. Missing images or sitemaps would not be PHP and would only appear in the Apache error log. Now if your form is producing an error and is in PHP, then it would probably have errors in the PHP error log then.