The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to delete old dcpumon toplog files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngusSF, Jun 11, 2003.

1. AngusSF

AngusSF Registered

I now have 173mb of "toplog.xxxxxxxxx" files in /var/log/dcpumon; these appear to be "top" snapshots every five minutes. Are these safe to delete? The toplog.xxx files date back for many many months. Since my host is limited to 1500mb this is a significant disk-usage hit.

What is the purpose of storing all these old toplog files? Perhaps there should be a second cron job that either deletes any toplogs that are older than a user-configurable age (e.g. one week, two weeks, one month, two months, etc.) or compresses them using something like gzip.

How would one write such a cron job, btw?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

[aside to the forum maint folks: every time you click [Preview] another line of "cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: " appears at the bottom of the message]

2. dougvaughan

dougvaughan Member

I would also like an answer to this. my /var is filling up at about 1% every two days. It's at 88% right now. I have tons of toplog.* files taking up 8gig of space. Can I delete them, and could someone tell me the commands to delete them? Thanks very much!

3. sumith

sumith Well-Known Member

You can safely remove the toplog files using 'rm' command unless you need it to watch the previous CPU consumption. If you want to disable it, remove the following entry from the cronjob.

/bin/sh -c /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1

Personally, I don't like to have the dcpumon disabled, because that is helpful (sometimes) to analyze the reasons behind crashing the server etc.