The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it typical practice for Cpanel access to be restricted?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeslaEdison13, Oct 28, 2014.

1. TeslaEdison13

TeslaEdison13 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To expand on the question, is it usual that a website's owner and/or admin be restricted from using CPanel by the hosting provider?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure. Care to expand on whats being restricted a bit more, for clarification?

3. TeslaEdison13

TeslaEdison13 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel itself is being restricted, only the host has access and has stated they can't grant access. I've been tasked as admin to a website, so I need to upload website files through the file manager, so I was curious if this was typical for web admin to be denied access from Cpanel.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Nobody but the account owner should have access to a cPanel account. Does the account owner have access? Assuming he does, how else could he upload his website? He should be able to create an FTP account to a directory for you, domain.com/stage/ for example, where you could upload, create and work on the website. The account owner would need to create the database for you though, if needed.

Sounds like this Hosting Provider doesn't want anyone but account owner logging in.

5. TeslaEdison13

TeslaEdison13 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Infopro,

The account holder would be the head of the school, but the site is my task, as well as school IT duties. The host claims it's against their policy to grant access to cPanel, so yep he has granted FTP access. Only the FTP has been a challenge to connect to with this router's software.

I went to the head of the school the first time I needed access, she said she didn't know the password, which led to a call to the hosting guy, and finally this led to FTP access. (Originally the site was using a web publishing template which doesn't allow for HTML editing.)

Since I'm not legally the account holder, that must be why I don't have access, but if the head of the school would have those rights, then wouldn't they be allowed access into cPanel? If that's the case, then I'd be pleased to ask the head of school to contact the host to get this access, and start uploading the new site.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes. The account owner should contact the Hosting Provider they're with and ask about resetting the account password. If the account owner wants to give you access, they can. Full account owner access has assess to more than just File Manager. There's also email accounts to be concerned about.

Good luck with this.