The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is no one else getting inundated by mailman bounces?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jsteel, Oct 31, 2003.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

We continue to get barraged by mailman bounce messages like the one below:

--------------------------
    Subject: Uncaught bounce notification

Attachment: {moderator requests waiting for various lists of customers}

Body: The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

For more information see: http://{servername}/mailman/admin/mailman/bounce
    --------------------------

We've reported this to cPanel but they closed the ticket without resolution. We'd consider this a fluke if it was just one server, however, we've received these from at least a dozen different servers. It appears mailman is using the {servername} in waiting moderator requests, rather than the customer's actual domain name, causing them to bounce and then get forwarded to the server's root address.

Please tell me others are seeing this so we can get cPanel to look at it. We're receiving a few dozen of these every couple of days.

2. akashik

akashik Active Member

Known issue for a while now (and yeah it's kind of annoying). No resolution that I've heard of yet.

3. markie

markie BANNED

We get hundreds of bounces with one server having over 80 mailing lists. Image that? I wish they would fix this issue. Im so sick of it already. Im also sick of my users bitching about it non stop because Cpanel cannot address the issue. If they cant integrate Mailman properly why even offer it in the first place? :rolleyes:

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. It was what I expected (even though cPanel says they can't replicate the issue).

5. markie

markie BANNED

They are more than happy to log into my box. I have about 150 emails in the queue from one mailing list. It was already reported to them as to why this was happening. If one, even one email on the list fails to deliver because its undeliverable then the entire balance and the whole mailing list gets kicked out into the queue. It should be that if one of the emails on the mailing list is bad to continue processing the balance and thats not whats happen.

If they cant replicate this ask them to place 10 emails on their mailing list with one that is bad or undeliverable and see what happens. It chokes and kicks the entire list into the queue. Thats the problem. Reported to them many times. I guess they dont listen.

#5 markie, Nov 1, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  6. markie

markie BANNED

Still more mailman issues with msgs getting stuck in the queue. 1st of the month all mailing lists send out confirmation email. None of them were delivered, instead there were 100's of stuck msgs in the queue from all the mailing lists on the box. When trying to deliver them manually we see.

LOG: MAIN
    ** mailman@srv.host.com R=mailman_virtual_router_nodns T=mailman_virtual_transport: Child process of mailman_virtual_transport transport returned 1 from command: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman
    LOG: MAIN
    Frozen (delivery error message)

What does this msg mean?

7. btwatts

btwatts Active Member

Mailman bounces

I'm also getting hundreds of mailman bounces every day.

Resolution is essential.

When?

8. markie

markie BANNED

I already submittd yet another ticket on this issue. Nothing!

9. markie

markie BANNED

** BUMP **

10. Bruce

Bruce Well-Known Member

ANYONE ?

11. Bruce

Bruce Well-Known Member

** BUMP **

12. markie

markie BANNED

Im sick of the subject.

13. sv1

sv1 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a fix for these issues?

14. markie

markie BANNED

Mailman bounces occur when one of the users on the mailman list is not a valid user or for some reason the message cannot be delivered to that user on the list. Then the whole mailmain list gets dumped to the mailqueue without any delivery. This issue is at least 6 months old, still not fixed. I cant believe this.

Cpanel claims they cannot replicate the problem. Try adding a fake email address to your list of users on the mailing list. Now send everyone a msg.

15. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

This problem is back again; however, we've determined that all of the bounces from the different servers are all a result of autoresponders saying the intended recipient is out of the office/town/unavailable at this time.

We thought setting the Mailman email preference in WHM to /dev/null would get rid of these, but apparently not.

16. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Does anyone have a bugzilla ID setup yet or just complaints on the forum. I suggest the primary if you want it fixed. Post the number here so others can vote on it.

I also see this but not only with auto-replies as the previous poster commented.

17. nurseryboy

nurseryboy Well-Known Member

We are now getting hit with hundreds of mailman-bounces every day as well. That and mailing list membership reminders bounces. It is getting out of hand.

What needs to be done to take care of this? I have :blackhole: entered for my mailmail email address in WHM, but I keep getting them at my root email address anyhow. I would imagine having them deleted would be the best route, but I am unsure of how to go about this.

Thanks.