Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

& is not allowed in crons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nerod, Mar 6, 2011.

1. nerod

nerod Member

For the first time in years, one of my crons failed. I changed the mysql password yesterday (part of the cron), which seems like it was likely the cause (the error was barking about the characters after & -- which was a character in the password).

Curious why cpanel allows the & symbol to be entered as a character if it has the possibility to break things?

Today is not my day.... happened with ( as well!

#1 nerod, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ampersand (&) is used on the Linux command line to separate commands, and that is how it is being interpreted. It is a legal character, but if it is in the middle of the password, everything after the ampersand will be considered to be a new command.

You can try escaping the ampersand by placing a backslash (\) immediately in front of it.

To explain further how the ampersand is treated by the shell (and by cron), consider the following examples:

Code:
    # date & w
    This tells the shell "Execute the date command and then execute the w command." The following example:

Code:
    # date && w
    tells the shell "Execute the date command and if and only if it completes successfully, execute the w command. If the first command returns an exit code other than 0, the next command will not be executed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...