The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is outdated phpMyAdmin a risk?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Karl1, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Karl1

Karl1 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    I have a VPS and saw that there are 2 updates, one for phpmyadmin and another one for mysql, so contacted support:

Can you assist to upgrade PHPMyadmin and MySQL to the latest version?
    PHPmyadmin: A newer version of phpMyAdmin is available and you should consider upgrading. The newest version is 4.2.2, released on 2014-05-20.
    MySQL: Currently WHM says I have 5.1 and 5.6 is available

and they answered:

It's not possible to manually update the version of phpMyAdmin that is shipped with cPanel. We can upgrade MySQL to the latest version. But before that, please make sure that you have backup of all user databases in the server. We do only take server wide backups on our end. Also, the upgrade process may cause downtime of the service.

What do you say? should I insist to have phpadmin to the latest?
    Is it worth to upgrade mysql also?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

MySQL version 5.1 is EOL and no longer receives updates from MySQL. You should consider upgrading to MySQL 5.5 at a minimum, as it's required in order to update to cPanel version 11.44. New versions of phpMyAdmin are reviewed and tested before their inclusion with cPanel.

Thank you.

3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm not aware of any current outstanding issues with phpmyadmin as shipped with cPanel. They do a good job of keeping it up to date.

However, significantly older versions of phpmyadmin can pose security risks when installed by an end user directly in public_html.