Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"is owned by" used in 2 contexts is confusing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ottdev, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On cPanel 66.0.24 - accounts were created to be owned by root. During creation, there is the option Make the account own itself (i.e. the user can modify the account) None of these are reseller accounts, so this option was not enabled. The accounts show as expected with root in the "owner/reseller" column in WHM "List Accounts".

But in WHM "Edit DNS Zone" - you will see the "domain is owned by" the username of the account. I had to go double check the "account" owner was still root.

upload_2017-10-10_16-24-36.png

I would suggest to keep "owner" verbiage for the username context - hasn't "owner" always been used synonymously with "username" since a user is usually the owner of its files? You could say the username owns the domains attached to it - so the "Edit DNS zone" screen would be correct.

Change the verbiage for "Account" control to something else to avoid the word "owner"??
    - simply reseller (instead of "owner/reseller") or "master username" or controller ?
    - "Make the account own itself (i.e. the user can modify the account)" could become:
    [ ] %%username%% should be controller instead of %%whmuser%%, so %%username%% is able to modify the account
    [ ] alvin should be controller instead of root, so alvin is able to modify this account
    [ ] alvin should be controller instead of dave, so alvin is able to modify this account

#1 ottdev, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This type of change request is better suited for our feature request website, as it's not necessarily a flaw in the product. You can open a feature request at the following URL:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.