The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is phpmyadmin secure in cpanel

Discussion in 'Security' started by tagteam, Nov 9, 2013.

1. tagteam

tagteam Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is is a security risk to have phpmyadmin available to customers from the cpanel. if so is there any way to lock it down so they cant use it but I can use it as root?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, You can disable phpmyadmin for cpanel through your WHM>>Packages >> Feature Manager >> edit default Feature List and untick the phpmyadmin and save that list.

3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Honestly, it's a lot more secure to allow them to use phpmyadmin through cPanel than if they put it on their account themselves. I've seen lots of security issues from customers putting thier own copy of phpmyadin on their site; I haven't seen any issues from use via cPanel. If one of your customers needs it, I'd recommend letting them use it via cPanel, rather than risk having them install it themselves. They'll only have access to databases associated with their account anyway.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could disable phpMyAdmin in the feature list associated with the package assigned to the account. However, the user may then opt to install phpMyAdmin manually to the account, as the previous poster suggested.

Thank you.