cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @smallbiz,

There's no update to report at this time. To increase visibility, I recommend submitting a corresponding feature request for the inclusion of libsodium as a core extension for PHP versions 7.2 and 7.2. Here's the format you can use when creating a feature request to ensure your feedback gets as much visibility as possible and translates into actionable work:

As a {cPanel User, System Administrator, web-hosting provider, or any other user perspective}, I would like {the feature that is being requested} so that {benefit that the request adds to the product}.
Feel free to respond here with a link to the feature request upon approval, and I'll share the link whenever I see a reference to this request to help encourage votes.

Thank you.

hub2000

Dec 18, 2017
germany
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

it does not work :-(

installed libsodium and libsodium-devel, then under Home >> Software >> Module Installers >>PHP PECL :

Installing PHP PECL "libsodium"
WARNING: channel "pecl.php.net" has updated its protocols, use "pecl channel-update pecl.php.net" to update
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in OS/Guess.php on line 241
Warning: fgets() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in OS/Guess.php on line 242
Warning: pclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in OS/Guess.php on line 251
downloading libsodium-2.0.22.tgz ...
Starting to download libsodium-2.0.22.tgz (28,531 bytes)
.........done: 28,531 bytes
4 source files, building
running: phpize
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in PEAR/Builder.php on line 465
ERROR: failed to run `phpize'

What can be the problem?

hub

yatesf

Sep 28, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons...
running: phpize
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in PEAR/Builder.php on line 465
ERROR: failed to run `phpize'
Your popen() function has probably been disabled in your php.ini (ie. "disable_functions = exec, popen, ..." etc.)

Here's a helpful reference link regarding disabled functions in PHP:

Maybe temporarily enable the popen() function (& reboot apache), then run the PECL install script. Then you can disable popen() again and reboot your apache again after successful install. Rinse & repeat if other functions like fgets() or pclose() appear to be the installation failure culprits from the installation error output that you posted.

Last edited:

hub2000

Dec 18, 2017
germany
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
thank you, that worked. I only re-enabled popen() from Multi PHP Manager >> System-PHP Configuration >> Function List, but it was still in php.ini "editor mode", so both settings are not "connected"

Reactions: yatesf

michaelxavier

Registered
Feb 12, 2020
Phoniex Az
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Go To Terminal
Code:
yum install libsodium-devel
Select When Done Y Then Go To Whm>>Software>>Module Installers>> PHP PECL "Manage Tab" click Search Type in sodium click go>> Then Click Install Wait till Done Then

Restart Server
Then Run Code to Verify Sodium Is Installed.

PHP:
<?php
print_r(get_loaded_extensions());
?>

Reactions: yatesf

coursevector

Feb 23, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There's no update to report at this time. To increase visibility, I recommend submitting a corresponding feature request for the inclusion of libsodium as a core extension for PHP versions 7.2 and 7.2.
How was this not installed by default and why does it even require a feature request to get a default feature in PHP? You guys seem fine adding newer version of PHP without a feature request and we don't have to put in a feature request for updates to PHP. PHP 7.4 is coming out soon, and we still have no libsodium, that's ridiculous. It's almost been a year since you posted this, any update?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Michael doesn't hang around the forums too much anymore, but I'm happy to help! Currently I don't have any updates to provide. I do see there is a case open with our developers to get that added to the product, but it hasn't happened yet. You're always welcome to request an update here and I can check things for you.

Cyber911

May 24, 2003
Michael doesn't hang around the forums too much anymore, but I'm happy to help! Currently I don't have any updates to provide. I do see there is a case open with our developers to get that added to the product, but it hasn't happened yet. You're always welcome to request an update here and I can check things for you.
Hey,

are there any news on the topic "sodium" PHP extension in EasyApache?

I'm really rarely this direct and frustrated, but it's a shame that cPanel did not get this done the last 3 years since when the sodium library got bundled with PHP 7.2 in standard installation, instead of providing a separated PECL module to install; cPanel just ignores this change until today and more and more software packages are not usable on cPanel hosted environments, like Shopware 6 (released 2019) :(

kind regards,

Sven B. 8)

Cyber911

May 24, 2003
Hi @cPanelAnthony,

can you give us any Update on this topic? The PHP-Module "Sodium" didn't make it into 100 as I noticed, timeline for "Shopware 5" is nearing EOL and still no chance to update to - or even evaluate - version 6 on cPanel hosted servers after 2 / 3 years... :(

kind regards

Sven B. 8)

Cyber911

May 24, 2003
Great news (extract from EasyApache 4 Changelog):
2022-1-12

ea-php74
  • ZC-7454: Add support for php-sodium.
ea-php80
  • ZC-9605: Add support for php-sodium.
ea-php81
  • ZC-9587: Add support for php-sodium.
Finally the long missing module got integrated! :)

kind regards

Sven B. 8)

Reactions: cPRex and andrew.n