The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a long delay if applying a redirect?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tejas55, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tejas55

tejas55 Member

Ok, today I put an Addon domain to my account. It was successful. Naturally, this addon domain shows up as really a sub domain. I made a folder under my original domain name to put the files for the addon domain. I then redirected the addon domain name to that folder and index.html file. I used a trailing / as instructed. Now, when entering the domain name, it only shows my directory with Parent Directory and cgi-bin directory. It is not going to the index.html page I have pointed to. I've tried everything but it still doesn't go there. I'm totally new at using cpanel for this. Is there supposed to be a long delay before this redirect will happen?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As soon as you set up the redirect and get the verification that it was done, it should work immediately.

When you go to http://www.yourdomain.com and you see the parent directory and cgi-bin directory, do you _see_ the index.html file in there?

Are you saying that it just isn't _displaying_ the index.html file but it is there in the directory?

Mike

3. tejas55

tejas55 Member

No, I actually don't see the index.html file, just the parent directory and cgi-bin dir. If index.html was actually there, I guess it would display and not be listed. I must be still doing something wrong. I know I uploaded the index file twice into the new folder I made under my original domain.

4. tejas55

tejas55 Member

To add another domain to my hosting account, is the addon feature the correct way of doing this? It's the only way I could figure. I sent a ticket 10 days ago to my host asking this question but as of today, they still haven't answered me. They must have thought it was a stupid question and chose not to answer me. I know my host account says I can have 20 domains and I have several more to add and just started learning the ropes of it today, or at least attempting to.

5. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes - Addon Domain is where you go. If I were adding one, I would do something similar to this:

New Domain Name: mtindor.com
    Subdomain/FTP Username: mtindor
    Document Root: public_html/mtindor
    - because I like all my domains to be under my main account's public_html dir
    Password: nonono
    Password again: nonono
    - then click ADD DOMAIN

Then I would FTP to mtindor.com and log in as mtindor with password of nonono and I would be put into /home/myaccount/public_html/mtindor - this is where I would publish my content.

Mike

6. tejas55

tejas55 Member

I appreciate the help, Mike. I think I did all the addon domain right, it must be the redirecting I'm doing wrong.

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe I should have read things a littel further..

I dont think you NEED any redirect.

Lets make this assumption: You want to have ilovecpanelyeah.com as an addon domain

1. You added an addon domain called ilovecpanelyeah.com
    2. You gave it the directory public_html/ilovecpanelyeah.com
    3. You put an index.html file in /home/youraccount/public_html/ilovecpanelyeah.com

That is ALL you need to do. After that you shoudl be able to go to http://ilovecpanelyeah.com or http://www.ilovecpanelyeah.com and bring up the site fine.

Absolutely no additional redirection of any kind is needed. If you did add redirects, remove them.

Yes, when you add an addon domain it adds a subdomain (i.e. ilovecpanelyeah.yourmaindomainname.com), BUT it ALSO adds the actual domain. So you do not set up additional redirection.

Mike

8. tejas55

tejas55 Member

You're right. The redirect was where I was going wrong. I finally managed to get it all to work. My goal was to move my old site that was a subdomain under freeservers.com to my own domain. The only thing I don't like about what I see is that now if a user goes to my new addon site with just the domain name, it goes to it fine, but the address in the browser window shows as a subdirectory of my main domain on my hosting account. I wish it would just show the domain they typed in in the first place. I thought the original domain the addon domain was under remained anonymous.
    Thanks a lot for the help, Mike. I really appreciate it.
    Russ

9. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It does 'remain anonymous' so to speak. If I add mtindor.com as an addon domain using the /home/mymainaccount/public_html/mtindor as the root web for mtindor.com, and then I go to http://www.mtindor.com, that's exactly what shows in the browser - www.mtindor.com. It does not 'redirect' or pose as anything other than what it is, mtindor.com.

the reason why your site shows www.maindomain.com/newdomain when you go to http://www.newdomain.com is because you have a redirect somewhere that is redirecting http://www.newdomain.com to http://www.maindomain.com/newdomain. By default, adding an addon domain will not do this. Somewhere along the way you must have set up a redirect that is not removed.

Check any and all .htaccess files in your main site's public_html directory and your addon site's directory. There should be no .htaccess redirects in place. If there are, they probably got added there by specifically going into Cpanel / Manage Redirects (or whatever it is called) - and those redirects should be removed.

Mike

10. tejas55

tejas55 Member

There were no redirects and the htaccess files are empty/0 bytes. I added another addon domain and it's behaving correctly and appears as it's own domain. I've been into Addon Domains and Sub Domains and made sure redirects were not in place but my original addon is still showing up under my top domain.

#10 tejas55, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  11. tejas55

tejas55 Member

After more than 24 hours, the addon domain started appearing correctly. So, either my original question about a delay was valid or once you've applied a redirect and even if you remove it, it's the REDIRECT that may take 24 or more hours to clear up.