The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a problem running 4 xeons with red hat 9 and cpanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DWHS.net, Jan 26, 2005.

1. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I may have to get the better redhat but I guess if someone had quad xeons a year ago they might of used regular redhat.

Anyone know if I can run four xeons with cpanel and redhat o.k.?

thanks, :D

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you really ought to go for an up to date OS such as RHE or CentOS. It's simply enough to upgrade from RH9 to either (esp. CentOS).

AFAIK, you can run a quad XEON on RH9 and all the CPU's will be detected (feel free to correct me). Are you sure it actually is a quad XEON and not a dual XEON with hyperthreading enabled?

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Though Redhat 9 was an excellent OS, as Chirpy says its EOL. That essentially means you'll have to overhaul the system installing your own updates ( i wouldn't put my trust in fedoralegacy if I were you, they don't have enough volunteers ) which in turn no longer really makes it redhat 9.

Along with that, redhat 9 is an older OS, even IF you apply your own updates, your not going to get the improved performance provided by newer OSs such as RHEL / CentOS, FreeBSD and others. My suggestion, if you want to stick with a redhat based OS is to go with RHEL if you can justify the licensing cost, otherwise give CentOS3 a shot ( RHEL compatable Clone, and remember to donate! ). You really don't want to put those 4 processors to waste ( if indeed it is a quad or just dual ). Of course, make sure to check the hardware compatability before you go ahead.

4. mr2jzgte

mr2jzgte Well-Known Member

If you can afford it just upgrade to Red Hat Enterprise 3

Saves a lot of time and messing arround it work with quad cpu machines no probs but i have the feeling your probably runnign dual xeons with hyperthreading (shows up as 4 cpus) in which case any version of redhat with 2.4+ kernel will detect and support this.

5. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It has four processors not two with HT. In fact it would be 8 if you include the HT. :)

When you run heavy MySQL then the more processors the better.

Thanks guys I actually have not even heard of CentOS and true I would not do fedora or Enterprise. I mean it's Linux c'mon who would pay such a high price for it, I see redhat going down myself. I think they made the wrong move charging so much. If the price was reasonable they could already be rich.

Anyways CentOS is on the 3.6 version already. Where have I been, I would definably be watching them.

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Actually they are quite profitable, and they release all their source code for others to use ( such as CentOS ). They need to pay their programmers somehow, its nothing new to Redhat, though the pricing IS a little bit to expensive for small to mid-sized businesses. If it wasn't for Redhats Enterprise system, there would be not CentOS as its rebuilt from the source that Redhat releases. Redhat aren't the only ones that charge for their Linux OS. Redhat does have a free alternative, Fedora ( not recommended the average server ).

Hold on there cowboy! Its 3.4 :D Another couple of months till 3.5