Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Is there an alternative to email forwarding?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by SamL, Aug 20, 2018.

1. SamL

SamL Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I have set up email forwarding for most of my email address on my cpanel, however sometimes the emails do not get forwarded. When one of my colleagues logged in today none of the emails had been forwarded over the weekend.

We are forwarding to hotmails and gmails incase there is a problem with the server and we lose access to emails.
    However, as not all emails are being forwarded its a concern for some colleagues and want to know if there is a more secure method so that if they can't access the emails on the server they are at least accessible somewhere else.

Currently the emails on the server are always there and accessible, we then have the emails sent to our email clients through pop/imap and also forwarded to external email providers.

The emails are always on server but do not always get synced correctly or forwarded correctly so looking for a solution incase there is a server error.

Thanks

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know about Hotmail or any other service, but in Gmail you can do this:

Settings --> Accounts and Import --> Check Mail from Other Accounts --> Add a Mail Account

You could set Gmail up to POP the mail from the mailbox on your server, rather than having your server forward the email.

Most of the time Gmail is pretty good about forwarded server email, even in large volumes (such as when CSF is triggering and sending a ton of outbound mail). But, depending upon the volume forwarded from your server and the mail reputation of your server, it might be beneficial for you to retrieve the mail into your Gmail account via a POP3 setup using the option above.

I'm betting Hotmail and the other big ones all support such a thing as well, although I cannot verify that.

Mike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe hotmail offers this as well. Go to Options -> Mail -> Accounts -> Connected Accounts in your hotmail account.

Forwarding mail off of the server like this is generally a bad idea.

If someone sends a spam message to your [email protected] that forwards on to [email protected], then Microsoft may read that spam message as coming from your hosting server (where example.tld is hosted) and decide to block or blacklist mail coming from that server (where example.tld is hosted).

Now, you can debate whether this is stupid on Microsoft's part or not. That's a totally separate discussion. But such is the plight of the ongoing battle with spam.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @SamL

Both @mtindor and @sparek-3's suggestions are correct, both outlook.live.com (hotmail) and Gmail allow for you to retrieve your mail via POP or IMAP to their servers this would be the most optimal solution due to mail being forwarded being marked as spam. At this point in time, I wouldn't recommend anyone forward like this when there are viable options which are more reliable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mtindor likes this.
  5. ebizindia

ebizindia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Excellent suggestions. The only problem is the delay. When Gmail retrieves emails, there is a bit of delay between the polls.

If that is not a concern, pickup is a much better option than delivery.

6. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Woild be good to have an option to ban the creation of forwarders to Gmail, Yahoo & Hotmail (and its derivatives like ymail, outlook, etc.) in cPanel with an explanation of the reasons along with the remedies that can be put in place, like the ones being discussed here.

7. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    you're correct though there's not much we can do about that, you can manually poll for messages through gmail.

I would suggest opening a feature request for this using the link in my signature, if this is something you'd like to see in the product.

Thanks!

8. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's always a cost when it comes to security, performance, and spam blocking (which you can actually clump in with security and performance).

If all you are checking is your gmail account (or hotmail account) then I always recommend advertising that email address. Why hide it? Why do you have to have an @yourdomain.tld email address if you're just going to check your gmail account? Doesn't look as professional? Then use a regular email client to check the real email account on yourdomain.tld.

If you really want to eat the cake, you have to eat the cake and learn to live with an empty plate where said cake used to be.

cPanelLauren likes this.