The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there any app for a private cloud/Backup/sync service for cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luigidelgado, Feb 18, 2012.

1. luigidelgado

luigidelgado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I am looking for an App/SW that could be installed in a shared hosting environment for personal/small business that could let people sync personal or colaboration files in a small basis in their own Hosted service. I mean why have so much fragmentation in dropbox, Skydrive, Syn here Sync there... most of the times we can use unused space in our hosting to share some files between collaborators or clients or friends, and have them synced in lots of places...

My first question is if there should be a special feature in cPanel to allow this... not sure if WebDAV is the best way or if there are better protocols for this... I thin rsync could be a way... but not sure if can be enabled in a "per Account" basis in a specific port for example when you dont want users to have Shell access.

Second if anybody knows of an app that could be installed in a shared hosting environment using cPanel that could work as a private cloud for backup and sync (files,docs,contacts,etc) and available for iPhone/Android/Mac/Windows etc... I just cant find any... (isn't it a great idea?)

:confused:

2. luigidelgado

luigidelgado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Update: just found the best approach I could find:
    /http://sparkleshare.org/
    But it is still a beta dev.