The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any way to properly track server bandwidth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Jan 3, 2004.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I know i can set the bandwidth on each account, but can i set server bandwidth?

For example lets say i get 1000gigs of bandwidth a month, but out of those 1000gigs i only want to use 900 for webhosting purposes.

Is there a way to set the overall bandwidth for the server to 900, and have an alert or warning message if i'm adding a user that will surpase the server limit?

2. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A managed switch is accurate for measuring mps, nothing on the server is going to be 100%.

You can tweak the server to make mrtg president of all resources but it's not worth it in my book.

I the server gets high cpu spikes I would rather let mainly apache among several other services have presidents.

Just me though..

Oh ya I was just reading last night how to make a process president. In linux hacks, I am n0t sure enough to explain it yet.

3. damainman

Thanks for your reply but i think you took my question kinda wrong.

What i'm saying is right now i got 1000gigs bandwidth a month for the dedicated server i have.

Now lets say i only want to have 900gigs in total used by my clients only. As i keep adding clients to my server, and assigning them monthly bw limits, is there a way to alert myself when i'm getting close, or warn myself if i'm adding a client and assigning him a bw limit that will surpass the 900 i have assigned to the server?

This would mainly be just so i can make sure i'm not adding more users then my machine can handle bandwidth wise.

I haven't slept good for the past couple of days, but i think i explained it better here lol.

4. DWHS.net

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I get it now, I just hear a ot of upsets about the inaccuracies of bandmin and mrtg.

You can have your bandmin stats emailed to you, they say what the servers overall bandwidth is.

I don't think you can do it as a alert, just a email each day showing what's the server is at for the month.

Do you know how to check bandmin in the web host manager.

Good job getting ne accounts :D

5. damainman

Thanks, i haven't started getting clients yet though, i'm still setting up and securing my server, but i really do need that luck lol. Good luck to you too.

There was still a slight misunderstanding lol i think you made. I'm not looking for "bandwidth usage", I'm looking for "bandwidth assigned" ;)

I want to make sure i don't overassign bandwidth. Meaning to dont assign more bandwidth then my server is allowed.

6. DWHS.net

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmmmm, I not sure but you hopefully someone else will know around here.

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you are talking about, but not sure how it can be done.

What you want is to basically keep track of the total bandwidth assigned to accounts to not assign more than 900GB total. You don't want to oversell your bandwidth.

I'm sure there is a way to do it, a custom postwwwacct script maybe, but for what little work it would take, it'd be easier just to keep a txt file up to date with a list of accounts and bandwidth figures. A manual txt file would only work if you were the only one creating accounts. To be automated, you could write a postwwwacct script that will keep a total of bandwidth assigned in a txt file and each time a new account is created, it will update the txt file and email you if it gets over 900GB.

8. PWSowner

First you'll have to catch me. I'm trying to catch him too. [​IMG]

9. damainman

Thats exactly what i ment lol, just didn't know how to properly word it lol. Hmm maybe i should submit this as a feature request.

10. joako

joako Well-Known Member

Create a reseller account with the bandwidth limit (make sure to disallow overselling of bandwidth) and create all the users with that account.

11. Alarion

Alarion Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. Use a reseller user to create all your accounts with using the limits as mentioned above.

What you would do is allow the reseller account 900GB of bandwidth. The same for disk space, pick the max you wish to allocate for web hosting.

Now, WHM will show you how much disk space and bandwidth you have left to allocate!

12. PWSowner

That actually makes sense. I'm shocked that I didn't think of that, especially because I do use a reseller account to create accounts.