Is there any way to RSYNC to Amazon S3?

bgarrant

Jun 27, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am trying to reduce the resources required for my daily backups. Transferring 40 GB compressed each night is a bit much so I want to change to incremental. I really like Amazon S3 so is there any way to connect to it? Is there a better option for incremental backups? RSYNC cannot connect to S3 correct?

Looking for any advice.

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Reactions: dhop

bgarrant

Jun 27, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
If I mount a second drive, will incremental backups work locally to the mounted drive?
Yes that is the better way to do it as it reduces IO on the main drive and will work with cPanel's incremental backups.

Reactions: bgarrant

dhop

Registered
Jun 2, 2017
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Not rsync specifically but AWS has their own CLI tool which does basically the same thing, used it several times and works good!

Hey Jcats,

Does installing awscli have any effect on WHM backups and configurations? I'd like to install this to do mysqldumps to S3 a couple of times a day. I'd like it to not interfere with anything WHM.

Thanks.

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Does installing awscli have any effect on WHM backups and configurations? I'd like to install this to do mysqldumps to S3 a couple of times a day. I'd like it to not interfere with anything WHM.
No it does not

Reactions: dhop