The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible??[moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bsasninja, Jan 24, 2007.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

I have a server with cpanel of course, ns1 and ns2 running on the same server.

I would like to add a ns3 server on other machine for mail. Here is the example:

Domain.com will have at the registar records:

ns1.dnsname.com
    ns2.dnsname.com
    ns3.dnsname.com -> the new server running dns and exim

if ns1 and ns2 are down sites, dns and mail will be too. So ns3 will get the mail working.

So I dont know if it can be done and what exactly must be done. If you have any document related to it of how to put exim in other server i would be glad cause I´m very lost in this subject.
    I would like to have more server redundancy.

Thanks

2. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

As far as the DNS goes, yes, it will work.

Create your MX records so that you have at least two records, the one with the lower precedence going to your primary server; the second, higher precedence, going to your backup server.

For example:

domain.com. IN MX 100 mail.domain.com.
    domain.com. IN MX 200 mail2.domain.com.
    mail.domain.com. IN A ipa.ddr.ess.001
    mail2.domain.com. IN A ipa.ddr.ess.002

Exim on mail2 needs to be set up as a Smart Relay server. I'm not an exim expert so can't help you there. I hear that PostFix is a much more flexible service for this need (easier to configure).

If you're doing decentralized DNS (Master/Slave relationship), why not set up at registrar so that ns1 points to server 1 and ns2 points to server 2? That will save the latency of a timeout period in looking for ns2 on a downed server.

3. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Someone on this board provided a tutorial for setting up exim as a smarthost which I have mirrored on my site: http://www.carbonstudios.co.uk/site/44/183.html

All you need to do is add the domains you will be relaying for to the local domains list in exim (Normally a good idea to set up and lsearch entry for these and use a flat file in /etc) then follow the steps in the tutorial provided by projectandrew, all fairly easy to do

4. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member