The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeñorAmor, May 14, 2004.

1. SeñorAmor

SeñorAmor Well-Known Member

Here at my work, we have two separate bandwidth providers. Both are business-class DSL from different ISPs. What I would like to do is have a nameserver on each provider, and my actual hosting server behind the nameservers on an internal network. Each nameserver would know to route requests to the hosting server behind it.

Is this feasible? Easy? Hard? Worth the effort?

Thanks,
    Senor

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

It would just be easier to get a dedicated box or colo your own rig. Trying to do everything yourself will turn into a nightmare.

3. SeñorAmor

Ok. Why?

It seems to me that it'd be better to have nameservers on different IPs from different bandwidth providers, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about here. :)

4. SeñorAmor

Anyone?

5. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I have a private internal network like you describe at my home. Its possible.

Worth the effort.. For me it is.. I like doing that stuff

depends on what you want it for...

6. SeñorAmor

Yeah, see I thought it would be. Makes complete sense to me to have nameservers on different ISPs.

7. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First off I am not sure how fast your DSL is but I know for the most part DSL is extremely slow for uploading and if you get a lot of people browsing it might start slowing down.

As far as doing what you are describing, you could setup each dns server to show different ips. Then have a firewall box (which could be the router) setup to forward all port 80 requests (webpages) to the web box's lan ip.

8. SeñorAmor

One of our DSL connections is 768k both ways (fractional T1) and the other is a full 1.5 mbit up and down. We're not going to be hosting anything like eBay or Fark, here. This is only going to be a dozen or so personal or small-business websites, just so people can say they have one (and for email).

I hadn't planned on each DNS server being behind a router (would you suggest that? Seems a waste to me), but I had planned on them forwarding everything on 80 and the 6 cPanel ports to the webserver.

9. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are going to have the webserver on only one pipe what is the reason for two dns servers? If the pipe that it is hosted on goes down then the website is not going to work anyways. I would not suggest making them routers.

10. icanectc

What are you talking about? If you have 2 different providers on 2 different IPS and the main pipe goes down.. How would the webserver stop functioning... Thats the whole point of having 2 or more nameservers.. Incase one fails..

The only thing is both DSLS would have to be live and running. Of coarse if its down you would have to move over to the next available internet connection

#10 icanectc, May 17, 2004
    Last edited: May 17, 2004
  11. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was not sure if he was talking about putting the webserver on both pipes, it was almost sounding like he was planning on putting it on only one. That is why I was talking about that.

12. icanectc

I mean granted its a bit much to have 2 seperate dsl providers for a server that isn't designed for "eBay" style sites. Then whats the need to have it backed up with mult. ISP's. If its a personal webspace I don't see what the mult. ISP's are for.

I think it's a bit overdone in that regard.. But I do see the want for having your own personal pages running on your own home server. Expecially running Terminal Server very effective if i left something on my home computer. Grab stuff from the car laptop. Very Handy and fun.

13. icanectc

Does cPanel provide free licenses for internal use only style sites? That don't push out to the web?

14. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No you cannot get a cpanel license for a LAN ip. There are some devel and temp licenses, I would email them what you want and see what they can do .

15. SeñorAmor

We have two 'net connections as one of them is primarily used for the VPN machines in one of the offices here. The other is used to provide internet to the rest of the office.

What I had intended -- and please correct me if I can't do it this way -- was to have two DNS servers each with 2 NICs, each on their own ISP. 'Net connection comes in to each on the first NIC, and out the 2nd NIC into a switch/router. Next, I would go out from the router to any box(es) in my LAN, including my webserver. Each DNS server would know to route the appropriate ports (21, 80, 110, et al.) to the webserver.

If ISP 1 falters in anyway, nameserver 2 should pick up (if the 'net doesn't see ns1, it should then try ns2), correct? If this is feasible, the only way any of this would fail would be if both ISPs failed simultaneously, or we had a power loss and our generators did not kick in. But in that case, the webserver would be down anyway, so the point is moot.

As for cPanel running on a computer with no direct access to the 'net, if you port-forward from a computer with an external IP, cPanel will function properly. I will simply give the IP of my primary DNS box for my cPanel license. If, for some odd reason, that box fails, I am simply without cPanel until I get it functional again, which isn't that big of a deal.

16. icanectc

If you have 2 nic cards and both are plugged into a DSL modem where is the router going into?

17. SeñorAmor

I recommend you go back and re-read my post. :)