The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this right? Nameserver configuration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tomdchi, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tomdchi

tomdchi Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have a domain at my registrar set to be a nameserver as well. I pointed the nameserver created at the registrar,, to two of my public ips that I also have set in cpanel. I then set the nameserver of to the new ns1,ns2 that I had jus set up.

Is this right? My zone records on cpanel already have the nameservers set for and so I think it should work ok.

Did I leave anything out?
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like you have things configured at the registrar properly - unless your registrar is a Tucows/OpenSRS reseller. OpenSRS is really crappy in that if a domain user wants to add nameservers and wants them to be added to all registrys, they have to get their reseller to log into OpenSRS management and submit them manually to ensure the world knows they are actually nameservers.

From shell: dig ns @localhost
    From shell: dig ns (a public resolver)

See if the results of those show proper information (i.e. list and as the nameservers and show their IPs as the correct ones).

As usual, people try to be very cryptic on these forums so as not to give anyone else a clue of their business name or their customers - but when you do that, you make it very difficult for others to help you without others having to query you for specific information.

If you can't get it to work, PM me - PM me the domain, the nameserver IPs, etc. and I'll tell you if it looks ok.

Sounds like you've got it set up though.