The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this user level filter rule appropiate?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by companero, Nov 21, 2014.

1. companero

companero Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello
    So and since spamassassin stopped discarding emails with a certain score and i wasnt able to fix it (nor my hosting) i came up with a different solution which is to create the following:

User level filtering -> New Rule -> Spam status contains 7. or 8. or 9. or 10. -> Discard message

I did a test and worked, which is perfect, but the question now is: Is this a good rule or anybody here is finding a flaw?

I know an email could score 11. 12. etc..but most of the spam which i want deleted is scoring no more than 15., hence my test rule.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome :)

regards
    companero

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

It looks fine to me but if you are having issues with specific domain/subject, you might want to consider creating rule with it instead of spam score. Also, account level filtering would be good option as well.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Did your hosting provider offer a reason on why the issue could not be resolved? It's likely a better idea to address the actual issue with SpamAssassin instead of implementing a workaround like this.

Thank you.

4. companero

companero Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Michael, no help at all, i replied to you in the original thread. It is sad that some admins preffer to just blame the software instead of looking for an answer.
    They talked about "conflicts" and spamassassin not being "robust", funny no?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way this rule which i originally posted is flawed so do not use it unless you replace:

User level filtering -> New Rule -> Spam status contains 7. or 8. or 9. or 10. -> Discard message

To

User level filtering -> New Rule -> Spam status contains score=7. or score=8. or score=9. or 10. -> Discard message

I noticed that many legit emails which were tagged as NO spam, were being deleted because the score was something like score=-98.4 and since "8." is contained, then it was wrongly discarded

I added the score= but im looking for a better workaround which i hope helps everybody here with fighting spam