The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this wrong? cPanel behind firewall?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehuk, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ehuk

ehuk Member

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if somebody can help! I have a cPanel server, behind a firewall with 1:1 NAT, I have 5 IP address:

10.x.x.1 = 91.xx.xx.1
    10.x.x.2 = 91.xx.xx.2
    10.x.x.3 = 91.xx.xx.3
    10.x.x.4 = 91.xx.xx.4
    10.x.x.5 = 91.xx.xx.5

eth0 is assigned to 10.x.x.1 and all the others are virtual, the idea was to have 2 IPs for DNS, 1 for Shared and 2 for SSL, so that:

10.x.x.1 = 91.xx.xx.1 - DNS1
    10.x.x.2 = 91.xx.xx.2 - DNS2
    10.x.x.3 = 91.xx.xx.3 - Shared IP
    10.x.x.4 = 91.xx.xx.4 - SSL1
    10.x.x.5 = 91.xx.xx.5 - SSL2

First of all, does the Shared IP address have to be the .1 IP? or is the setup above ok?

I know that cPanel doesn't support 1:1 NAT, but it all seems to be working fine, everything in the settings are using the 10.x.x.x range, except with the DNS zones which I edited the templates for changing .%ip% to 91.xx.xx.3.

I have one website running on it, and it seems to be working fine, there are just a few SSL and Mail issues I need to sort out, but I don't think they are because of the issues above.

Is what I have done silly or will it pose no problems in the future?

Thanks in advance!

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on your NAT setup; you seem to have things under control in any case ;) As for the shared IP address, you are free to use any of your IPs; it does not need to be the first one. This applies to both your Main Shared IP and to the shared IPs for any resellers on the server.