The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Using External PHP Possible?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by KungFuJosh, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KungFuJosh

KungFuJosh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a VPS running WHM 58 on CentOS 6 and it just updated to build 29, which is definitely an improvement, but I still hate EasyApache. My other servers have CloudLinux with the simple checkbox based PHP Selector for whatever packages I want. It's exceptionally fast and simple.

By the time EasyApache4 loads the packages screen for me to look through 20 pages page of things I need to search through, and then wait again for it to figure out what it's going to do... I can install, uninstall, and reinstall everything I want from the shell at least 10 times. And then I have to wait again because I need to verify it actually did what I told it to.

So the question is: is it possible, and what do I need to edit, to use external PHP with WHM/cPanel? Installing repositories and packages is easy and fast from the shell. It shouldn't be so hard to integrate it with WHM.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Some improvements to the EasyApache 4 interface in Web Host Manager are included with cPanel version 60, including improved package querying.

Could you provide some more information about using an external PHP package? For instance, do you mean compiling your own custom RPM?

Thank you.

3. KungFuJosh

KungFuJosh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For example, I want to download a repository from the SSH shell, and install PHP and all the packages I want from the shell independent of WHM.

Code:
    sudo yum install epel-release
    wget https://os.website.org/example-release.rpm
    sudo rpm -Uvh example*.rpm
    yum install -y php-example-fpm php-example-opcache php-example-somethingelse
    After installing from the shell, I can confirm install from the shell with the command "php -v" - which will respond with the current installed php version, and OPcache version, etc...

But, from that point, WHM needs to know PHP is installed.

I need to know how to connect the WHM setup with the shell based default PHP install locations. It might be as simple as placing the php.ini with the correct paths in the right location, but I don't know, and I'd prefer not to experiment if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    Josh

4. KungFuJosh

KungFuJosh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    PS. I don't know if moving this thread to EasyApache is appropriate since my entire point is to avoid EasyApache.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you elaborate a little more on why this is preferred over EasyApache 4's built-in command line options? You can complete the same actions via the command line that are available via Web Host Manager. There's a document on this at:

How to use yum in EasyApache 4

Thank you.

6. KungFuJosh

KungFuJosh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For one thing, I don't want to use EasyApache's packages. The entire purpose of this thread is a custom external php install. I'm more apt to abandon WHM/cPanel than I am to abandon my custom php options.

But even if I left the ea- packages in place, and installed another php package set, how would cPanel know there was an alternate option?

The question still remains: how do we make cPanel aware of a custom external php installation?

Thanks,
    Josh

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One of the benefits of EasyApache 4 is the ability to create your own package branch to avoid the issues (e.g. no integration with any cPanel/WHM/EasyApache features) that would arise if you simply installed a standalone package on it's own. You can create your own package branch using the instructions at:

ea4.ninja

This is the only supported method to make cPanel aware of a custom PHP branch.

Thank you.