The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is webhost/cpanel working on freebsd yet, and is it free?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pillhead, Oct 13, 2001.

1. pillhead

pillhead Registered

Its slightly hard to work anything out from your site, but I need to know is cpanel/webhost known/meant to be working on freebsd yet?

It seems that it compiles and installs for me, but when I go to use it I get the message \"Content-type: text/plain Invalid Lisc File\".

That then brings me to somethings I have read on your site regards license files, does this mean that webhost/cpanel is not free?, I have to buy a license file or something ?

If it isnt free it should be made more aware on your site, your site is very unhelpful.

2. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member

1. Dark Orb never stated it worked on FreeBSD
    2. There is a notice on the main page saying that Septembers fee\'s are going to the redcross - that sort of suggests its a paid product to me - not to mention the distrobuters column

3. pillhead

pillhead Registered

What may seem aparent to you(the administrator) may not seem aparent to me (the user).

I looked into these distributors and assumed that it was a fully installed/supported package, like with normal GNU/GPL licensing, I noticed that all your software was available for downloading and assumed that it was free because there was no \"pleaase only download this software if you own a license\" which brings me back to free licensing, I quote MYSQL.

On the MYSQL homesite the software is availablel for downloadding and free, but you can purchase A COMMERCIAL LICENSE which includes full support, which I assumed that these DISTRUBUTORS links were supplying on your behalf, SO EXCUSE ME FOR BEING WRONG! but too me it is not apparent, I downloaded and attempted to install, if it worked for me unless I knew otherwise I would not have thought for a second about licensing.

And as for freebsd support, I simply asked is it supposed to work, I quote \"but I need to know is cpanel/webhost known/meant to be working on freebsd yet?\" the answer to this question being no suggests that I need not look into it anymore, as all our servers are freebsd.

I only wanted to trial the software on my test server becaues I was thinking of introducing it too the ISP I work for (www.enta.net) as an alterative for our customers as ive used it before and know that it functions very well.

Well thanks for your time anyway.