The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is X needed by WHM/cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cygnus_X1, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

I'm trying to make my server more efficient, and was looking for unneeded processes and I spotted X running...

root 7707 0.8 0.4 11668 8532 ? S 18:32 0:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-PNYTD6 vt7

Though I'm not completely intune with all the uses of the X system, does WHM/cpanel need it? I was thinking it may be a relic from my initial server install before WHM was installed.

I also see this error daily in my logs...

Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Is this "x" related to the big X?

I tried killing the process to see what it affected. I didnt immediately notice any issues with WHM/Cpanel or any other services, but X was restarted shortly after. I guess a cron or something noticed it wasnt alive, and restarted it.

Do I need X? What do I need to do to disable it and remove it, and remove from any startup scripts?

Thanks for your assistance.

#1 Cygnus_X1, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

There is no such process such as X. Your box has probably been rooted/hacked.

3. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Actually it can be if they did the install of their OS up so that X was also installed.
    Don't jump to conclusions.

Seems as if you are not a unix native user. X is the XWindows system and the paths as specified by the original poster seem like a valid process line.

the respawning of X/x seems like either X keeps getting restarted and fails. Now, if it's lower case x then we need to worry..

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, perfectly normal if you boot the server in the wrong runlevel. You can usually fix this by editing /etc/inittab and look for the line:

id:N:initdefault:

Where N is probably set to 5 on your server, it needs to be 3. Change it in that file and reboot and X shouldn't startup on reboot anymore and those persistent log errors won't appear.

5. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Thanks Chirpy! That stopped the X-win system from starting up, and it trimmed 1% off of my memory usage which is nice. My cpu use is already <1 , but disabling X trimmed that down a little more too. I'll wait on my daily log report to see if the "x" error is still generating, but I'm pretty hopeful that all will be well now.

You guys rawk! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.