The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolate client environment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latpanel, Apr 6, 2005.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

I have a dedicated server with a lot of unused space, and I would like to offer hosting with php, cgi and mysql support, but I'm worried about security.

Is there any way to isolate each client space to avoid that a cgi or php script could cause a damage to the server or other clients enviroment?

In linux I know that exists a chroot option to create closed enviroments, but I don't know how to integrate this with CPanel.

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The best you can do with cPanel is to use the jailshell option if you're going to allow shell access by users and compile apache/php with phpsuexec support. there's little more you can do thatn that. The next step would be to offer a virtual server solution using cPanel on s single server (cPanel offer a virtual server license) using the popular Virtuozzo, or the very nive UML.

3. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

From your kindly answer I've learnt that the only way is a Virtual Server, I thought about an intermediate solution with any kind of enhanced chroot (not the actual chroot, of course).
    Now my apache server is using suexec for cgi and php.
    I'm thinking on users that only need space for hosting with php and mysql, I don't need (and I don want) to give shell access to anybody (I'm a little paranoic).
    I've read about Virtuozzo and it looks very nice, and
    UML is new for me, I've found by google that it's opensource, but It looks a very new product, do you know any production site using it?

Thanks

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are a few. If you do a google search for cpanel uml you'll find a few. One that I have seen mentioned is:
    http://www.jvds.com/