The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isp ip address being identified in Helo?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rligg, Jan 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

Hello I have a shred server and recently set cpanel to send mail from domain's dedicated ip address. Cpanel is set to automatically take care of this and I can verify that /etc/mailips and/mailhelo are propagated correctly. I can also confirm that reverse dns is also properly set. The problem I have is that when looking at the mail headers the helo does not reflect the domain ip sending the email, but rather my home network ip address. I'm stumped.

example:

helo=[192.168.x.xx]
    This is an ip on my home network.

#1 rligg, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is normal if you are sending from an email client on your home computer. The information is included by the email client you are using to send the email. For example, you will notice the same behavior when using Horde and SquirrelMail, however Roundcube will not display the sender's IP address in the message header. It's important to keep in mind that a client must send it's own Domain in the Helo/EHLO command per RFC requirements. If you remove this information completely, most mail servers will mark the messages as SPAM. You may need to consider using a VPN for email purposes to avoid revealing the source of the emails.

Thank you.

3. Mohsen Khosravi

Mohsen Khosravi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Hello,
    Thank you for your detailed answer. The problem is that when I send email via emai client, the ISP IP is mentioned as sender IP and because it is not an approved IP for sending email (since users usually have internet with dynamic IP and we can not always add IP as approved IP for sending email in CPanel) emails have SPF problem and goes to spam.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator