The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP Users Experiencing Problems Sending E-mails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by injenn, Mar 10, 2005.

1. injenn

injenn Member

FYI: I figured out why I've been getting a number of problems sending email using MS Outlook (not Outlook Express). Apparently, from an earlier thread, the Cox.net users from the East Coast, U.S. have been having difficulty because Cox.net has been blocking ports or reserving them for spam assasins and what-not.

If you're receiving an error regarding your OUTGOING mail server that has to do with SMTP items, and you use Cox.net to access the internet, then make you outgoing mail server point to this address: smtp.west.cox.net. This applies to Southern Californian Cox.net residents only! So contact your local Cox.net provider if you are not in this area!

Your incoming mail server should be directed to your usual mail server - mail.YOURDOMAIN.com.

2. patrick24601

patrick24601 Member

Uh OK. Why was this posted in a cpanel forum?

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is actually nice information to know, a lot of providers are starting to block port 25 to only allow smtp to their mail servers which can cause cpanel end users and server admins a lot of grief trying to solve e-mail issues with the end customer.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

this has been the case for about 3-4 years now ..it's only a few ISPs left that don't block and those are being forced to because all the spammers are flocking to their systems.

5. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sure makes it fun too when your trying to do tech support remotely with a end user thats not the britest bulb in the string

:D

6. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Same with Freeserve (Wanadoo) in the UK.

That's why we've enabled Exim on port 26.

7. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Enabling port 26 is good, but I see a problem coming, ISP will start blocking it as well. We've actually been doing a random port and then letting our clients know about it in the welcome e-mail.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

We usually tell our customers to use the ISP's SMTP server. That reduces bandwidth and usually speeds up their sending and keeps the ISP happy. It also lessens your risk of being blackholed due to a customers PC getting infected with a worm and subsequently used for spamming.

Forgot to add: We don't run SMTP on any port other than 25. The issue, for us, is between the client and their ISP.

9. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Some ISPs also actually block outbound email from their SMTP servers if the From: address isn't the email address they provider (IIRC, Virgin.net is one of these ISPs).

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed, which is a disgrace - that's when the advice shifts to finding a new ISP ;)

11. injenn

injenn Member

Many port-blocking threads have been thrown into the forum quite frequently and I also agree that it's not going to get any better.

As a matter of fact, a client of mine purchased an office suite from a building which shares one ISP and one routing server. When I tried to configure the outgoing mail server, I had to randomly select a port because the building's tech department did not want to disclose or open a port which would allow my client to send outgoing mail. So, in addition to the blocks occuring at the ISP level, the building was also blocking ports! Sooner or later, we're not going to be able to use our own servers to send mail, rather, become subject to the tyranny of the "big" ISP's empire! :eek:

12. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to see this made sticky so new hosters and resellers can be aware of this, might help a new comer out and save them some customers and some headaches

13. injenn

injenn Member

I'm not sure as to how to go about making this topic a sticky, but if somebody would hand me some advice on doing that, I'd be happy to do so!

14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

PM dgbaker and he should be able to do that ;)

15. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've stuck it and made the title reflect more ISP generic as this obviously goes beyond Cox.net only.

16. dball

dball Member

Does anyone else see a big collision happening between this and the big ISPs that want you to use SPF to tell them which server is valid for sending mail for a specific domain. The two anti-spam methods seem mutually exclusive. :confused:

-- David

17. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's one of the main reasons that SPF is such a flawed idea. Also, SPF is not an anti-spam solution, it's purely to try and prevent joe-jobbing and phishing, though rather unsuccessfully.

18. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

One thing to remember, if you create a new port for outgoing mail, you may need to have your customers change the default in their anti-virus program. Norton scans outgoing emails but when I created a new port for SMTP and changed it in Outlook, Norton was not scanning the outgoing mail until I manually changed the Norton default.

19. WORLD

WORLD Member

I have email problems too

I am sure this is a problem with cPanel.
    Be nice to see others imput.

We have hosted all of our customers websites on a few different servers over the years, and only since we have been using cPanel have our customers, and myself been experiencing this email problem.

Now we have never had this problem before.
    We used to have our sites hosted at a hosting reseller who had cPanel, but recently changed locations and have our own dedicated servers with cPanel again, but like I said before using cPanel we never had this email issue.

The issue
    When someone sends me an email and I click reply I get an error saying the email could not be sent. But if I click in my address box or type them an email and add their email they get it. It's just when I reply to a person.

This happens to me th eodd time, and also is happening to a number of my customers????????

20. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

I also have been having this problem on two computers. It appears to be a bug in Outlook. If you click the "check names" button before you send the email, the problem is solved. It seems that once in a while Outlook does do something that it should and it sends the email with the physical real name of the person verses the email addresses even though both may show up in the email address line.

Another bug I have with Outlook is once in a while an email just wont leave the outbox. Resending it does not work. However, if I drag it into the inbox and then resend it, it goes.

Thanks uncle Bill!