ISP's Blocking Port 25!!! Help!!! Can't Get Exim On Port 26

nitromax

Well-Known Member
Feb 12, 2002
189
0
316
We started getting complaints from customers that they couldn't send email all of a sudden. I checked it out on our side and sent some test emails and didn't see any problem.

About 5 minutes later I tried to email a couple of people back that were complaining and it started happening to me. My ISP is Cox Cable. I looked up on their website and they are now blocking port 25.

I went into the Service Manager and checked the box to run another copy of Exim on Port 26, but I can't get it to work. I went into Outlook and changed the setting in there and here is the error message I get:

Unable to connect to the server: (Account '[email protected]', SMTP Server: 'mail.whatever.com', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e).

Can anyone offer any suggestions here. I have tried everything I can think of as well as putting it on port 27, 28, 29, etc., but can't get it work.
 
O

ozzi4648

Guest
[quote:08de6df4af][i:08de6df4af]Originally posted by nitromax[/i:08de6df4af]



We started getting complaints from customers that they couldn't send email all of a sudden. I checked it out on our side and sent some test emails and didn't see any problem.

About 5 minutes later I tried to email a couple of people back that were complaining and it started happening to me. My ISP is Cox Cable. I looked up on their website and they are now blocking port 25.

I went into the Service Manager and checked the box to run another copy of Exim on Port 26, but I can't get it to work. I went into Outlook and changed the setting in there and here is the error message I get:

Unable to connect to the server: (Account '[email protected]', SMTP Server: 'mail.whatever.com', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e).

Can anyone offer any suggestions here. I have tried everything I can think of as well as putting it on port 27, 28, 29, etc., but can't get it work.[/quote:08de6df4af]

This option does not work. Just out of curiosity i wanted to test this one day. It doesnt seem to work, at least it didnt for me.
 

mikerayner

Well-Known Member
Apr 10, 2002
192
0
316
[quote:40a19c8aa4][i:40a19c8aa4]Originally posted by ozzi4648[/i:40a19c8aa4]

This option does not work. Just out of curiosity i wanted to test this one day. It doesnt seem to work, at least it didnt for me.[/quote:40a19c8aa4]

It is incorrect I read two threads in the forum that shows it works:


just click on the links

http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=4926

http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=5004

ISPs block port 25, 26 or even 27 and ... to prevent from spamming or abusing SMTP servers
 

nitromax

Well-Known Member
Feb 12, 2002
189
0
316
I have tried port 26, 27, 28, 29, and still no results. My ISP says they are only blocking port 25.

Any further explanations?
 

mikerayner

Well-Known Member
Apr 10, 2002
192
0
316
[quote:2b858cf790][i:2b858cf790]Originally posted by nitromax[/i:2b858cf790]


I have tried port 26, 27, 28, 29, and still no results. My ISP says they are only blocking port 25.

Any further explanations?[/quote:2b858cf790]

refer to these threads

http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=4926

http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=5004

Also post error messages from outlook
 

nitromax

Well-Known Member
Feb 12, 2002
189
0
316
I did refer to those threads you referenced, and I had looked at those before I started this post, and they didn't help at all. (But thank you for looking those up. :) )

I also did post the error message in my first post above. There doesn't seem to be the same SSL Authentication problem.

Still not working.
 

SHSaeed

Well-Known Member
May 9, 2002
245
0
316
nitromax,

You can tell your customers to use their ISP's SMTP server for outgoing emails or you can try a much higher port number (over 1024) and see how that works.
 

nitromax

Well-Known Member
Feb 12, 2002
189
0
316
Update!!!

Ok... we finally tried it on port 35 and that seems to work.

I guess the moral of this story is that you just have to keep trying ports until it works.

Thanks for everyones help! :)