Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Issue with changing Nameserver IP

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by alexis75, Dec 19, 2018.

1. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    I have troubles updating IP for dns2 in my nameservers.. we had to migrate our secondary VPS and cause of that we need to change IP. According to our registrar it cannot be done at their side since out primary VPS has a domain name which serves for Nameservers, e.g. we have let's say "vps.domain.com" for VPS/WHM and 2st nameserves are 'dns1.domain.com' and 'dns2.domain.com'. I also tried to change A record for dns2 via WHM Basic Setup, but no luck :( -> it saying OK, but old IP remains.
    I tried to follow few tutorials and change via "nameserverips.yaml" with resp. restarting named & cpanel services, but after DNS restart old IP coming back. Btw, for some reason the file '/etc/nameserverips' is missing ? according to reccomend. it has to be edited as well, but it is not there. We have Centos 7.3 64 bit.

I also reduced TTL for primary 'domain.com' -> for dns2 to 300, and there new IP shows correctly.

What am I missing here? are there more places I need to change A-recod with new IP?
    Appreciate any advice!

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @alexis75

I'm not fully following why you weren't able to update your nameservers. Can you explain using examples what your ns were set to before and what they're set to now?

If you run the following it should update the nameserver IPs if you've already updated them:

Code:
    /scripts/updatenameserverips

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for a quick reply!

As I tried to explain Nameservers are 'self-supportive' on our VPS, after talking to registrar this is what I understood. The only way to update new IP via A-record for dns2 was via "Edit DNS Zone" for that domain name which is coupled to VPS/WHM; dns2.domain.com points to new IP now.
    I did that about 7-8 h ago, but still unable to change A-record via 'Basic WHM Setup'.. I still see old IP there and unable to change it.

Perhaps now I have to wait longer before new IP propagates to dns2 and I can then update A-record?
    I just ran '/scripts/updatenameserverips' command and "nameserverips.yaml" got updated with old IP! for dns2, why is that? I reversed it back to new IP and see in WHM under 'Nameserver Record Report' correct IP, but 'Basic WHM Setup' still not allows me to update new IP, what could possibly prevent it from changing IP?

4. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello again,
    as it turned out our registrar had to update dns-glue record for our dns2 and that solved the problem! , my question went through at last :)
    That's why we couldn't do any changes via 'WHM Basic Setup' I suppose, but now it shows correct IPs.

Thank you for your help! You are welcome to close or even delete this thread, since the most important outcome in this question was as suggested elsewhere (incl. somewhere in this forum): 'Contact your registrar in order to update Nameservers IP if you don't have that access', all other actions regarding IP change for Nameserves been done properly.