The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with Hardrive check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsb825, Nov 18, 2007.

1. jsb825

jsb825 Member

I am using Godaddy for a dedicated hosting provider. I have been getting daily notifications that a hard drive is about to fail. As per their e-mail:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    This error is due to an incompatibility issue between the S.M.A.R.T.S. monitoring system and cPanel. There are steps that you can take to eliminate this message. Please visit the cPanel forums at cPanel.net for further information. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
    Server Support

How do I disable this feature notification or correct the incompatibility?

2. Amit Deshmukh

Amit Deshmukh Well-Known Member

It's a software

You need to upgrade your mysql manually, then you can perform following operations:

# touch /etc/mysqlupdisable
    # chattr +i /etc/mysqlupdisable
    # service cpanel restart

This should definitely fix the issue.

Regards,
    Amit

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe it's just me, but neither of the posts in this thread make sense to me. Anyone else want to chip in and enlighten us?

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

it's not just you.

1st of all it's obvious you get what you pay for with godaddy. they push it off to the forums? figures ..also their info is false. they need to use drives they didn't dive in the dumpster for.

the mysql post looks like it belongs somewhere ..just not on this thread.

5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only thing I can think of that they might have been talking about is that with some drives and CentOS 3.9 (and maybe others) there is a false positive from SMART that says a drive is dying from old age, when in fact the temperature just passed a certain threshold that day. There is also a post here that will describe how to prevent SMART from sending an identical message over and over every day. The problem is, that the message is rarely identical.

It took me a fair bit of googling to find out about this issue when I started getting the false positives some time ago. I skim the daily SMART alert and make sure the numbers in it haven't changed dramatically, and hope I don't get caught like the boy crying wolf ;)