The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with internal and external IPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moodler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. moodler

moodler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm currently battling with the configuration of WHM and cPanel on our local campus server.

The IP on which cPanel is to be installed is an internal IP. However, we need the installation to resolve to an external IP for the purposes of using cPanel to host our Moodle installation. We previously hosted it on a plain CentOS setup but have, for various reasons, decided to rather place it within a cPanel installation.

The installation seemed to go well. However, a problem arises when I try to SSH in or access WHM on the external IP. It connects but then denies me access when I try to log in. We initially thought that this was a problem with our 3rd party firewall configuration but this does not appear to be the case.

Is it in fact possible to work with this sort of configuration i.e. an internal and external IP?

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Search for "cPanel with NAT" (or "site:forums.cpanel.net cPanel with NAT" to see results only from this forum) and you will find many links.

3. moodler

moodler Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Issue with internal and external IPs (SOLVED)

This was related to the 3rd party firewall. It had assigned limited access to the internal IP. Once full access was granted to the IP everything was resolved. And this despite continued assurances from the people who administer the firewall that it couldn't possibly have anything to do with their settings .... Just peachy. :mad: