Issue with internal and external IPs

moodler

Registered
Jan 8, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm currently battling with the configuration of WHM and cPanel on our local campus server.

The IP on which cPanel is to be installed is an internal IP. However, we need the installation to resolve to an external IP for the purposes of using cPanel to host our Moodle installation. We previously hosted it on a plain CentOS setup but have, for various reasons, decided to rather place it within a cPanel installation.

The installation seemed to go well. However, a problem arises when I try to SSH in or access WHM on the external IP. It connects but then denies me access when I try to log in. We initially thought that this was a problem with our 3rd party firewall configuration but this does not appear to be the case.

Is it in fact possible to work with this sort of configuration i.e. an internal and external IP?

moodler

Registered
Jan 8, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Re: Issue with internal and external IPs (SOLVED)

I'm currently battling with the configuration of WHM and cPanel on our local campus server.

The IP on which cPanel is to be installed is an internal IP. However, we need the installation to resolve to an external IP for the purposes of using cPanel to host our Moodle installation. We previously hosted it on a plain CentOS setup but have, for various reasons, decided to rather place it within a cPanel installation.

The installation seemed to go well. However, a problem arises when I try to SSH in or access WHM on the external IP. It connects but then denies me access when I try to log in. We initially thought that this was a problem with our 3rd party firewall configuration but this does not appear to be the case.

Is it in fact possible to work with this sort of configuration i.e. an internal and external IP?
This was related to the 3rd party firewall. It had assigned limited access to the internal IP. Once full access was granted to the IP everything was resolved. And this despite continued assurances from the people who administer the firewall that it couldn't possibly have anything to do with their settings .... Just peachy. :mad: