The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with Symbolic Link in cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bruin, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Big Bruin

Big Bruin Member

May 4, 2005
    I can't figure this out... Any ideas?

I have had a symbolic link on my server for a long time that has always worked, whether accessed by cPanel, SSH, or FTP. Basically, I have a link inside one site's home directory that points to a folder on another drive in the server... basically the symbolic link /home/site_name/backup points to the folder /backup/site_name

I just noticed that going through cPanel's file manager, I can not navigate to this backup folder in the home directory. I get the error... "Internal Error, can't find that folder". But, if I go through SSH or FTP, the link is still functional, and all the files are available.

Even weirder, in attempt to fix this, I created a new symbolic link pointing to the parent directory of my original symbolic link... basically /home/site_name/backup2 points to /backup

When I navigate this new symbolic link in SSH or FTP is does as expected and points to the parent directory. But, if I navigate it through cPanel's file manager, it takes me to the lower level directory, /backup/site_name

I am highly confused, and concerned since many crons are set to run using this symbolic link.