The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with User crontab not showing in cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twinfinity, Aug 24, 2011.

1. twinfinity

twinfinity Member

I copy accounts from one server to another. The server copied from does not have cron enabled but the server copied to does.

Some accounts that are copied over to the server with cron enabled show a crontab and it works but some accounts copied don't show a crontab.

I tested permissions on these accounts by adding:

../x3/cron/index.html

to the URL but it only shows a blank page like it is missing permissions.

I did:

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/crontab

but doing so make no sense if over half the accounts that are copied have a working crontab...

I even tried changing packages and adding Reseller. No dice.

Apparently, this only happens in the copying over process and it is not every account. The very last account I copied over has a working crontab in cPanel but the one before that doesn't. Completely mind boggling...

My thoughts are, somewhere in the copying process there is an override that is allowing the old default feature list to be used on the new account.

In the past, I have deleted accounts and recreate with full backups but the crontab still wouldn't show in users cPanel. However, if I used partial backups and restored the account that way, the crontab would show as intended.

Rather than going through a partial backup and all the fun stuff included in doing so with 30 or more accounts...
    is there a SSH command for each user's package feature list that can be edited ? Or, how can I select single users and add crontab permissions via SSH or any other means ?

There has to be a better way. Thanks for any and all help !!!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Once these accounts are moved, you are setting them to the correct package on the new server, correct?

3. twinfinity

twinfinity Member

I have created a package with the same name on both servers with default feature lists. Crontab is the only difference between the two, besides other features that are not on the first server which show up on the second server regardless.

I have tried changing to another package on the second server but it makes no difference. Crontab is still not there.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Does /etc/cron.deny have any of these users listed?

Code:
    cat /etc/cron.deny
    Next, if the account might be detected as suspended somehow, the crons would be moved to /var/spool/cron.suspended location for that user:

Code:
    ls -lah /var/spool/cron.suspended
    If that doesn't appear to be the issue, please open up a ticket in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature for us to investigate further. Please post the ticket number here after opening one.

Thanks!

5. twinfinity

twinfinity Member

Here are the results:

I tried suspending one of the sites and then unsuspending it, still no luck.

Submitting a ticket. Thanks.

Request ID 1830314

#5 twinfinity, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To update others who may view this thread, the result of the ticket was that cron jobs were able to be added properly upon testing. It's likely the solution was from the following command being ran previously:

Code:
    # chmod 4755 /usr/bin/crontab
    Thank you.