Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with user sessions cache after update to v66

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erel, Aug 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Erel

Erel Member

We have upgraded today to cPanel v66.
    We are running a Xenforo forum. Strange things happened after the update. Some users were unable to log-in and we couldn't access the admin page.

I first thought that it is related to the new htaccess optimization and disabled it. It didn't help. Eventually I solved the issue by disabling the cacheSessions option in the forum configuration.
    Enabling it causes the same issue to appear.

It is most probably related to the latest update. As you are also running Xenforo, maybe you can help with finding the cause of this issue?

2. Erel

Erel Member

Another issue which might be related. File uploads stopped working.
    Fixed by setting the value of upload_tmp_dir in php.ini. Not sure why it was commented and what was the previous value but it did work properly in the last 8 years.

I'm pretty sure that I don't understand how to correctly work with the MultiPHP INI editor. The basic tab doesn't include the required option and the editor tab clearly says:

What is the correct way to change this value?

Overall it was a challenging update for us and the server was not functioning properly for a few hours...

3. Erel

Erel Member

The cache is now enabled and working properly. It happened because of the missing upload_tmp_dir.

The missing piece was to find the correct PHP error logs. The file location is NOT listed here: The cPanel Log Files - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You can found it in the phpinfo page under error_log directive.

I think that it is worth adding those logs to cPanel interface.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's possible the issues you faced relate to the following entry in the cPanel 66 Release Notes:

Were you using local.ini files for custom PHP settings with the affected accounts?

Thank you.

5. Erel

Erel Member

I don't think so. Tried looking for a local.ini file and I don't see one.

Anyway, if there is a breaking change then it is worth making a more prominent warning about it (and the updater can actually check whether there is a local.ini file and suggest the nervous administrator what should be done to upgrade successfully).

We are using cPanel to help us administrate our own VPS server. We are not resellers.
    We trust you to do your best to keep our servers running.
    This is the second update in the last year that breaks our server. The previous one was with the upgrade to EasyApache 4 (the issue was also related to PHP handling).

I'm using cPanel for 8 years now and I don't remember such issues before.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Here's a quote sent by one of our Technical Analysts from a recent support ticket where a similiar concern was brought up:

Can you verify if this helps to explain what happened on your system?

Thank you.

7. Erel

Erel Member

Not sure. Anyway it is working now properly.