Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Issues Uploading Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JGD101871, Oct 18, 2018.

1. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I am new to cPanel. I created a website for my Dad and uploaded it and the site simply won't display. The FTP client won't connect, even after tediously checking and rechecking the settings. I used the file manager, uploaded all of the files into the htdocs directory as it told me to, tried to check if the site was live and I just get "Problem Loading Page".
    I read in some forums suggestions of creating a public_html directory, so tried that, no dice.
    Never have I had such a problem uploading files and getting them to go live.
    The site is HTML using CSS. I uploaded all files and directories exactly as they should be, I am not new at this.
    This is beyond frustrating and bordering on ridiculous that something so simple as uploading files to a server is so bloody convoluted to get the site working.
    Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure what docs you're reading but users do not upload files to that directory. Do you have root access to this server your account is on or do you have a cPanel account on a server managed by some company?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is on the Getting Started area of the control panel;
    "The script cannot run unless its files and associated directories are uploaded into the HTDOCS folder of your website which can be done via FTP Client or the Online File Manager. Always remember, uploads go into the HTDOCS folder, never anywhere else.

If you prefer to use the iVista tool to install the script select, iVista in your website control panel, choose the location and where you want it installed, if you want the script to be the first thing seen leave it as is otherwise change it. Finally, select the script you wish to install and click INSTALL NOW.

The script will then be installed in your HTDOCS folder where you selected it to be and you should now have the user account to login and get started with the script.:"
    Have no clue what script they are talking about. It jumps into creating a MySQL Database, which I did, even though I am not using PHP, just to go through the steps, and it changed nothing. I actually couldn't find it afterwards. Then going through script configuration... seriously? The instructions are more confusing than helpful. Typically, using HTML, you upload the files and that's it. What am I missing here?

This is the root directory. I am unable to go anywhere else from here except into the htdocs directory. If I try to upload files to this directory, they are refused.

Attached Files:

#3 JGD101871, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
  4. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You're not actually using cPanel to manage your hosting account, are you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel version 58.0.31

6. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The url you posted, now removed, shows me that you're using vista panel with the word cpanel, in it's url to your account. That's not cPanel.

You should contact your Hosting Provider for assistance with this issue you're having here.

7. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Then why, at the bottom of the page, does it say cPanel 58.0.31 and when I click on it, it takes me to this support site? Seems like you're passing the buck here. Even the logo on the page is for cPanel. The interface is Vistapanel and the host is - Removed -

#7 JGD101871, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
  8. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't pass the buck. :)

cPanel 58 was deprecated early last year:
    cPanel & WHM Version 58 now EOL | cPanel Newsroom

I only looked at the main page of the login you linked to, it says VistaPanel. Looking closer, now, vista panel is a style for cPanel according to this thread on WHT:
    webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=605310

It appears you're using hosting with someone offering free hosting packages on a very much out of date cPanel server that's running a custom style/addon called vista panel.

Regardless of all of that, cPanel users uploading a website to their account do not upload to the htdocs directory. cPanel users upload files to their account on the server located at home/cpanelusername/public_html/
    public_html is displayed in your browser at yourdomain.com

9. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, thank you for that information.
    I have literally clicked everything on that page to try and find some answers on how to simply get the site working and can't find anything. Even their support forums take me to a dead end, so no support. I think I am just going to delete the account and search for another free hosting site. My Dad has been ripped off so many times by hosting sites, and spent hundreds of dollars, that he can't afford, just to make sure his site runs uninterrupted. I decided to go looking for a free one for him and came across - Removed -, which seemed great, but not worth the hassle and frustration.
    Thank you for your time and help.

Infopro likes this.
  10. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might want to invest in your Dad's website a bit more by going with inexpensive hosting from one of our cPanel Partners. You can look over options for them, here:
    The Hosting Platform of Choice | cPanel, Inc.

Best of luck to you, and Dad. ;)

11. JGD101871

JGD101871 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you.
    By the way, I worked for an International Company in Customer Service and know how hard it can be giving service to a customer when another company is using your product, and not necessarily how it should be used.
    I appreciate that you went through the trouble of investigating the information for me to give me an idea of what I was dealing with to help me make a decision. Taking that extra time is the difference between regular customer service and giving great customer service. You deserve a kudo for going the extra mile in researching the information for me.

cPanelMichael and Infopro like this.