The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues validating backup remote FTP/SFTP details

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by scobiit, Sep 24, 2014.

1. scobiit

scobiit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I am hoping someone help assist me in troubleshooting getting the WHM remote backup location working.

The destination is a Windows based web-server running the Filezilla server to handle the FTP side.
    Initially I tried using FTP but the validation failed using both the IP and a hostname. I logged into the remote server to watch the Filezilla server logs and attempted to log in once again and although WHM/Cpanel has said that it is trying to validate the server doesn't appear to have any incoming connections. I then proceeded to connect to the server using my desktop and the same login information and it logs in okay.
    As a second test I set up a connection in the WHM/Cpanel backup again but this time using SFTP. I have used the same information as I used for FTP and proceeded to log in to the remote server again. This time when WHM/Cpanel was validating the remote destination I can see on the remote server that WHM/Cpanel has a connection the server but it doesn't appear to actually log in even though I provided a valid username and password.

I'm really not sure whether I have missed anything at this point but any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please try accessing the remote server via FTP or SFTP using the command line on the cPanel/WHM server to see if you can connect manually. This will help determine if the issue is with the connection itself or with the backup system.

Thank you.

3. scobiit

scobiit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I have followed your suggestion and I connected in to the WHM server via SSH. I first tried FTP-ing to the remote server using the default ports but I still couldn't get a response from the remote server. Via SFTP I could get a response but it didn't ask for any login information etc and on the remote server I could see it was connected but not logged in again.

What I did find was add port 22 to the remote server Filezilla listening port and FTP in to the remote server on port 22 instead at which point the WHM server logs in to the remote server using the details given. I then created a test directory via FTP and checked it had been created on the remote server so it was all looking very hopeful.

I went back to the backup configuration wizard within WHM and it was looking positive although on the remote server it returned "425 Can't open data connection for transfer of"... and a few moments later the validation failed. I then went on to temporarily disable the firewall on both ends and tried using both passive and active but it failed on all combinations. I went back to my desktop just to verify that it is working from that and I can perform file and folder operations without issue.

Thanks again

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It seems like an issue between the connection between the source/destination servers. Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. scobiit

scobiit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

The ticket number is 5506459.

Thanks again

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To update, a network issue between the cPanel server and the remote FTP server was detected. The web server is not able to ping the FTP server, indicating a firewall or router issue between the two servers.

Thank you.

7. scobiit

scobiit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael to you and your team for helping me diagnose the issue.

I have spoken with our hosting company and it is something they employ within each of the data centres (I wasn't aware they are set up in the same data centre) and require us to purchase private LAN services to enable the two servers to communicate freely.

Thanks again

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator