The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael-MS, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Michael-MS

Michael-MS Well-Known Member

FIXED, THANKS!!!1) Problems with Autoresponder for the Admin Account

Username: "siteadmin" on a domain called domain.com
    Default Address: setup to send to "siteadmin"
    Autoresponder: setup autoresponder for siteadmin@domain.com

Sent a test message to siteadmin@domain.com. An autoresponse is sent. However, the original email is deleted!

We sent this bug into cPanel using the support request form and they said that this is standard behavior for an autoresponse? LOL (it's NOT the way it works for a non-admin account, so this is definitely a bug!)

2) Feature Request: You should be able to limit FTP users web space.

3) Feature Request: FTP Users should have a control panel similar to the /webmail (email user) control panel:

- Ability to change password
    - File Manager would be nice
    - Show how much disk space is being used.

I got it to work :) 4) We cannot make changes to disable "antivirus.exim" config file. The default exim configuration blocks users from sending email with certain attachments. What kind of solution is this???

So anyway, we made changes to antivirus.exim which worked great. Then we set "chattr +i antivirus.exim" so that the file could not be overwritten by a cpanel update. Well... this breaks Exim when you update, so we need another solution. Any ideas?

EDIT: I created my own copy of antivirus.exim (antivirusedit.exim) and added this line to the exim config editor: system_filter = /etc/antivirusedit.exim. Works great... :)

FIXED, THANKS!!! 5) Feature Request for /webmail user cp: Email Users should be able to add their own autoresponders. If cPanel wants to compete with products like Ensim then it needs to at least offer basic features like this. Scenario: Hosting a company web site, with 1000's of employees... and we have to setup the autoresponders for all of the employees? LOL. Why even offer autoresponders if the email users can't create them?

FIXED, THANKS!!! 6) Feature Request for /webmail user cp: Email users should be able to forward email within the control panel. Same crazy scenario as above....

Added to Basic Exim Editor, THANKS!!!7) "Do not accept mails for accounts which have disk quota full. After all why should we accept mails for them and put in queue to wait until they empty their account."

Someone posted this solution:

We have added this to the config file through WHM and it's still not bouncing emails. Has anyone tested this solution? Am I doing something wrong or does this not work?

Update for Issue #7: The problem now is this:
    1) Spammer with invalid email sends mail to user@domain
    2) User@domain is out of space (so it bounces back to sender, great!)
    3) Sender has invalid email, so it stays in Queue for 7 (default) days!

Is there any solution available w/out changing the # of default days that a msg stays in queue?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also send this list in as a feature request. Most of these issues have been sent in via the support request form individually over the past 6 months. However, none of them have been resolved... and some haven't even received a response from cPanel!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

#1 Michael-MS, Sep 15, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

This is not a bug. the default username is not

username@domain.com

it

username@servername.com

Neither Linux/FreeBSD support placing a quota per directory so this probably won't happen anytime soon. While this is possible to implement in userspace, it would require a daemon that checked out each file on the system on a regular basis. This would cause a large performance hit.

You can already disable this with the Exim Config Editor.

These are quite fesable and may be considered for the next release.

You can do this with the exim config editor.

We don't want to ever discard people's email without them knowing about it.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    These are both in the latest 8.x EDGE releases.

4. Michael-MS

Re: Re: Issues with cPanel

GREAT!!!! Thanks! :)

Everything looks good... it passed the minimal testing that I did. :) :) :)

I haven't yet looked over your other comments in detail. I will do that later today and reply again.

Thanks for all your help,

Michael

5. Michael-MS

Re: Re: Issues with cPanel

Okay, I understand this better now. However, I still think there is a bug. If nothing less, I will have to edit the cpanel skin and put a warning in the autoresponder section. We've had clients lose email because of this.

What happens is that they have an admin account and a default address to handle all of their email addresses. Then they setup an autoresponder for email@domain.com. When you add the autoresponder, the Default Address no longer catches the email sent to that email@ alias!

Don't you think this is very strange behavior?

Note: The solution for this is to create an Email Forwarder for email@ to the admin account. Then setup the autoresponder for email@ after the new email forwarder is in place.

Problems: This is too complicated for the average hosting client. :(

Do you think there's a way to fix this? :)

Thanks,
    Michael

6. Michael-MS

I know you said this could be done in the Exim config editor... but I don't think I have the syntax right.

I'm assuming that I would add it to the "RETRY CONFIGURATION" section.

Would it be: * quota

I tested this for a few weeks and it did not seem to work. Plus it's missing the third value (retries).

I would be interested in two scenarios:

If an account get a quota error...
    1) it fails and removes the email from the queue immediately
    2) it waits 24 hours and tries again, then fails and removes the email from the queue.

I'm thinking that #2 would be a better solution, but if it doesn't reduce the load on our machine enough then we'll be going with #1... could you help me with the syntax for both of these?

7. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

> EDIT: I created my own copy of antivirus.exim (antivirusedit.exim) ...

What did you change in that file to allow users to send attachments? Do you care to share?

btw, most of your points seem valid... except for the FTP requests, as the main user may want to exert a certain degree of control over the FTP passwords.

You are probably thinking about the independent "user" concept with some other control panels, where you can have users under the main account with their own disk quota and password editing facility. :)

#7 goodmove, Sep 16, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  8. Michael-MS

This was a while ago, but basically (in a fit of rage) I just deleted the offending methods. Probably should have commented them out, but oh well! :D

http://srv01.masterdns.org/antivirusedit.txt

9. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Great. But doesn't the commenting out let through both outgoing AND incoming emails with attachment extensions such as *.pif? I am wondering if this is a good idea or not, as most of incoming *.pifs usually hide worms.

10. Michael-MS

Yes.. this opens up all attachments. For email filtering, we use something called... common sense. ;) (actually, we just go by what clients request) :)

11. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael, although I understand your POV times change and we need to change with them. With the rapid mutation of; viruses, worms and trojans, if the attachment is not .txt or .zip then kick it back. Even .html is questionable -- due to nasty things being able to hide within gif images.

Just a thought. :)

12. Michael-MS

Hey, it's up to you... all I asked for was for cPanel to allow me to customize it... which they have! So I'm happy. :)

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

exim 4.22 - 80 (only for 7.3 in EDGE right now .. other os/distros coming soon)

will now still process the *: entry in the valiases file even if it encounters an autoresponder for the address in question. I hope that helps.

Thats now avalible in the new "Basic" version exim config editor (in edge).

14. Michael-MS

Thanks for all of the fixes and new features! Everything is working great! I'm very impressed with your work. :)

Regarding the FTP users space dilemma: I hate to compare cPanel to Ensim because I would choose cPanel over Ensim without thinking twice about it! But if possible you may want to model the FTP user system after their setup. Just a thought... I'm sure you have your reasons for not doing so, but limiting FTP users space would have its benefits.

Regardless of how I sounded in my first post, I am a big fan of cPanel and an even bigger one now. :) I manage servers for another company (along with 2 for my own company) and we've switched all of our clients from Ensim 3.1/Cobalt/Alabanza over to cPanel. :)

Anyway, thanks for fixing/addressing all of my issues!

Michael

15. JPmorgan

JPmorgan BANNED

The over quota option does not work. If system detects that the user is over quota it attempts to return the email to the sender telling them the user is over quota but if the sender was a spammer like 90% of all msgs are, the msg gets stuck in the queue unable to deliver the msg. So this option has recreated the origional problem and that is it cannot deliver the msg. The smart thing to do would be to check for quota way up at the very start of the ACL rules so that if the user is over quota the msg is not even sent to the user.

#15 JPmorgan, Sep 20, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  16. JPmorgan

JPmorgan BANNED

** BUMP **

17. Michael-MS

What you've said makes sense... and it's definitely a new issue that needs to be addressed. I'll add it back to my list... but I don't really know how to fix it (maybe your suggestion would work?). :)

Michael

18. Michael-MS

I would like another feature added to the Basix Exim Config Editor if possible. It's pretty simple, and its already a variable in the advanced editor, but I don't think you can use both the basic and the advanced at the same time, lol.

So if possible, can you add an option in the basic config to set the # of days to keep messages frozen? I think the default is 7.

Thanks,
    Michael

19. wwwhosts

wwwhosts Well-Known Member

add this (or similar) in the 2nd to last field

* * F,2h,15m; G,12h,1h,1.5; F,2d,4h

20. markie

markie BANNED

What does that do?