The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with DNS, Site not resolving

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kjtocool, Oct 28, 2011.

1. kjtocool

kjtocool Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DNS / Resolving issue solved by recompiling apache, only unsolved issue is:

The issue:
    When I go to WHM -> DNS Functions -> Nameserver IPs, I see:
    ns1.seconddomain.com - no ip - 2 zones
    ns2.seconddomain.com - no ip - 2 zones
    ns1.domain.com - IP3 - 12 zones
    ns2.domain.com - IP4 - 12 zones

Clicking the number "2" for ns#.thirddomain.com brings up an empty text area on the Edit DNS Zone selection page. I have checked etc/nameserverips, and the file looks like:

IP3=0
    IP3=ns3.domain.com
    IP4=ns4.domain.com

How can I delete / remove ns1.seconddomain.com and ns2.seconddomain.com from showing up under Nameserver IPs?

#1 kjtocool, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This data is stored in the following file:

Code:
    /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml
    Before manually updating the above file, you can try updating the information using the following command:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips
    To note, the Nameserver IPs option is for display purposes only. It has no effect on DNS zone entries or propagation.

Thank you.

3. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nameserver IPs file is only for display anyway, so even if something were not functioning properly in the file, it really is of no consequence. I'm uncertain about posting an off server guide on how to properly update something that is a simple file to edit and only used for display purposes.

It would be most helpful to avoid posting off forum links to guides. We generally prefer all guides are posted within the forum post itself.

Thanks!

5. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

We had received clarification on this feature, and the nameserverips.yaml file from our developers. I wanted to share this to clarify the intended behavior.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. Neither is the /etc/nameserverips file. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates the yaml file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.