The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with scan to email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by alexh_neq, Jul 17, 2014.

1. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi there,

This is probably a really newbie question but i'm a bit stuck.

I have a funny issue with the scan to email functionality of a clients photocopier. The domain and email is hosted on our cPanel server, and the photocopier uses another SMTP server to send mail via the domain.

I added an SPF record to allow the external SMTP server to send email the clients domain, but i'm still getting a "No such user" error for the email address the photocopier is sending from.

Here are the exim_reject logs from where the email fails, i've obfuscated the domains and IP addresses for obvious reasons. 99.99.99.4 is the SMTP server.
    Code:
    2014-07-17 09:55:11 H=smtp.server.net (smtp_domain.server.net) [99.99.99.4]:38406 sender verify fail for <photocopier@users_domain.com>: No Such User Here"
    2014-07-17 09:55:11 H=smtp.server.net (smtp_domain.server.net) [99.99.99.4]:38406 F=<photocopier@users_domain.com> rejected RCPT <user@users_domain.com>: Sender verify failed
    2014-07-17 09:55:11 H=smtp.server.net (smtp_domain.server.net) [99.99.99.4]:38406 F=<> rejected RCPT <photocopier@users_domain.com>: No Such User Here"
    The SPF record i added looks like this: v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:(cpanel server ip) +ip4:99.99.99.4 ~all

I'm 100% sure this has an obvious solution and i'm just missing it, any thoughts?

2. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I should add, the photocopier@users_domain.com doesn't exist as an email account on the cPanel server, it's designed to just be the sender email address and so shouldn't really exist as an actual mailbox.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will have to create an email account for that address so it can authenticate with a valid username/password if you want to send email from it.

Thank you.

4. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks Michael.

One further question, from what i can see this set up has never been configured with a mailbox or email account for photocopier@users_domain.com on the cPanel server.

Iv accessed the web interface of the photocopier itself and it is configured with no password/authentication, and more importantly is configured to use a completely different SMTP server - so it wont even attempt to use our cPanel SMTP server when sending mail.

The previous engineer who set this up no longer works here so i cant confirm how it was working before, but i can definitely confirm the photocopier is not set up to use our cPanel mail relay.

Yet somehow this setup has worked before. Until 3/4 months ago according to the client.

#4 alexh_neq, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Further to my last comment, it seems as though SPF really is the way to get this working.

From the discussion here: dns - What are SPF records, and how do I configure them? - Server Fault, a key concept that is mentioned is "You're supposed to be listing the addresses of all the servers that are authorised to send mail coming from your domain." which is exactly the situation i am in.

I want server A, which is on a separate network, to be able to send email from addresses within my domain, to server B which is inside my network.

Am i missing something or mis-understanding this at all?

#5 alexh_neq, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  6. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Has anyone ever experienced a situation like this before? Getting a device to communicate via email correctly seems to be a common enough thing to try to do...

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are the email accounts configured on both servers, and have you setup MX records for both mail servers in the DNS Zone of this domain name?

Thank you.

8. alexh_neq

alexh_neq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Michael, thank you for your response. I believe this is an issue with the SMTP relay sending us the mail, this can be marked as resolved.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator