The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with SPF, DKIM, Godaddy VPS and their email relay server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jands, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jands

jands Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a VPS with Godaddy.

I have had a lot of trouble getting my outgoing emails to get a PASS when using port25 verifier.

I also noticed that SPF and DKIM info does not show in gmail emails.

At the moment the results are:

SPF check: softfail
    DomainKeys check: neutral
    DKIM check: neutral
    Sender-ID check: softfail
    SpamAssassin check: ham

After searching chatting with Godaddy support I learned that they do something different with SPF, it is send as a txt file or something.

I also learned that VPS email is not send directly from my mail server, it is sent via a Godaddy relay. Therefore the email does not show my dedicated domain IP, but Godaddy’s IP

Is there a way that I can configure my mail server and the way it connects to the Godday relay server so that :SPF check, DKIM check, and Sender-ID check will PASS, and therefore show this info to Gmail.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you checked with their support team to see if any special instructions are available for setting up SPF/DKIM to work with their mandated relay server?

Thank you.

3. jands

jands Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I contacted Godaddy support today, and one CS rep gave me the code to use for SPF based on their relay server, it took less than a minute, and SPF now shows as PASS.

I then contacted Godaddy CS again and asked for help with DKIM, but the new CS rep I got refused to give any direct help with it.

He said that it is Godaddy policy to not assist with DKIM and other code issues (he also seemed surprised that the first rep had send me the code for SPF).

I also asked for links to any help pages on their website, he had a look and also could not find any. He did have a look for any internal reference docs they might have, also nothing.

So, right now I am still trying to figure out how to get DKIM working

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can review your current DKIM configuration. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome. Note that you may want to try contacting another support agent from your hosting provider for further assistance as well.

Thank you.

5. jands

jands Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Request id is: 5858151

6. cPanelKaden

cPanelKaden Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This issue ended up being caused by a custom smarthost configuration that was present on the server.

/etc/exim.conf.local had the following in it:

Code:
    @ROUTERSTART@
    send_to_smart_host:
    driver = manualroute
    route_list = !+local_domains smarthost.domain.com
    transport = remote_smtp
    The "remote_smtp" transport will not send DKIM keys. This entry was changed to:

Code:
    @ROUTERSTART@
    send_to_smart_host:
    driver = manualroute
    route_list = !+local_domains smarthost.domain.com
    transport = dkim_remote_smtp
    This allowed Exim to transmit the DKIM key to the smarthost and the DKIM checks started passing.

7. jands

jands Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks to Tristan and Kaden from CPanel paid support for solving this!

I've had two freelancer coders work on this for about a week, and they could not crack it.

CPanel support solved it within a few hours!

I am not sure why that custom smarthost configuration is there, I did not ask the coder who set up my server to do anything special, I assume it is required by Godaddy for emails to be sent from my IP to their email relay IP.

This is also what caused the issue with SPF, in that case I had to contact Godaddy and get the ip address for their relay server.

All is well now, SPF, Sender ID, and DKIM all show as PASS in port25 test emails.

8. 94alireza

94alireza Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi jands.
    I have the same problem.
    may I ask you, how did you solve that?
    I can't find Email Authentication icon in cpanel, and can't configure SPF record or DKIM.
    and I didn't contact GODADDY. cause my website owner created the account and I don't know the username and password for Godaddy account, but I know the username and password for Cpanel. (I'm managing the website content)

Thanks, in advance.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check with the website owner so you can obtain that information in order to consult with your hosting provider to resolve the issue. You can't enable the "Email Authentication" feature in cPanel if you don't have root access to the server.

Thank you.