The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

it has been always a question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehsan, Jun 8, 2002.

1. ehsan

ehsan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am back after a while :)
    this has been always a big question for me, i would appreciate if any body gives me some hint on it

in httpd.conf we have

&VirtualHost _default_:80&
    DocumentRoot /home/parking/www/
    &/VirtualHost&

and as you can see we are trying to catch all domains that they have our DNS and they point to us but they dont have hosting with us.

also this is the first entry that we have for virtual site.

now the problem

we have 3-4 domains they have been registerd in the same day with same DNS address, but we dont have hosting account for them on the server
    after configuring Httpd.conf like this, one of them points correctly to the parking domain or page.
    others are not pointing there,

i changed doucmentroot path to new path and restart the apache

the domain which was pointing to old parking page correctly, still points to that page! not to the new page.

so, the question:

since domains are pointing correctly to us, and it is like 5-6 days that domain has our DNS in its record, if we change something on server, it should be changed instantly, hah ? but sometimes it does not! like sometimes when you make subdomain it does not show up till next day, even after restarting apache and bind ...

i really got puzzeled , i dont know why, when domain points to our server, it should not take time to see changes, as it is for 80% of the time, but those 20 % makes me thinking what's going on,

or this parking thing, one domain shows up, others not! i am sure they will show up tomorrow !

sorry it took long and your time :)

Thanks.

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I am trying this one myself :) ... you do need zones for these domains right? I mean like for ites that have been deleted but users still have your DNS servers listed on their domain. I can't get it to work at all. How are you getting this to work? is there a catch all for dns?

3. ehsan

ehsan Well-Known Member

see
    apache says the catch all would be the first virtual host that you have in your httpd.conf
    but it does not work for ,
    so we used another catch all :

&VirtualHost _default_:*&
    DocumentRoot /home/park/www/
    &/VirtualHost&

which * is the port number that would be 80 in this case

but just one domain points there, and i made hosting account for that domain, domain still points there !! not to hosting account !

I checked every where, every thing is fine!
    problem is it seems some times taking actions are not online! even when domain is pointing to your DNS for a while.

why sometimes when you change a record for a domain it does not show up immediately ?

4. ehsan

ehsan Well-Known Member

forget about the delay thing,

it is really strange,

how can we catch all domains that they point to us, with out having any kind of record for them.

like what all registrars do,

solution :

apache documentation says:

1) first virtual host would be the catch all host too .
    ( NOT WORKING)

2) Add &VirtualHost _default_:80&
    DucomentRoot /home/*
    &/VirtualHost& to httpd.conf

(NOT WORKING)

it is really strange, and also it can be a good feature to add to WHM.

Any comment from Cpanel Staff would be appreciated

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

problem is the DNS server has to point the request to a IP address first. That's the problem I see. I see no way around it unless you could make bind point all no-account domains to a IP that you could host. Problem with that is the DNS server has to lookup real domains at other dns servers. I guess you could make it lookup first everywhere else and then if no zone exists then it could point to a IP. ???

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

You know the more I think about it .. it really looks like the first request would be for the nameserver to give back a IP for the client browser to use. Is there a way to make it so bind will give back a single IP for all requests that don't have a hosted zone file?

7. ehsan

ehsan Well-Known Member

oom, not really
    i am puzzeled too,
    there should be a way to do that, i could not find any thing about puting default setting for bind in redhat documentation, but
    about httpd.conf, they just say &VirtualHost _default_:*& will catch them all.
    shoud be a way to some how point these domains to one ip and then catch all domains on that IP with httpd.conf...

8. First Faze

First Faze Well-Known Member

[quote:60b3ea14a0][i:60b3ea14a0]Originally posted by rpmws[/i:60b3ea14a0]

problem is the DNS server has to point the request to a IP address first. That's the problem I see. I see no way around it unless you could make bind point all no-account domains to a IP that you could host. Problem with that is the DNS server has to lookup real domains at other dns servers. I guess you could make it lookup first everywhere else and then if no zone exists then it could point to a IP. ??? [/quote:60b3ea14a0]

Simple answer, no.

Detailed answer, this will cause a lot of problems... Don't do it.

When you register a domain for a customer, point it to an IP - If they dont have an account yet - Point it to that IP.

9. ehsan

ehsan Well-Known Member

well,

since so far we have like 250 domains pointing to our servers with out having accounts on the servers, I dont want to hard code each domain,
    each domain when it registerd will point to us, and i want it to at least show a kind of parking page instead of 404
    so when they get hosting, they will be up without waiting 24-48 hours...

you mean using IP instead of DNS in domain record ?

Thanks for reply

10. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

That is what I normally do. The only thing that teh default httpd.conf entry can do is if a customer uses a 3rd party DNS and points traffic to a IP addres that you host. If the account didn't exist on that box then maybe the httpd.conf default setting would work. But the DNS thing is the issue.