The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jail Installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fallenwizard, Jul 7, 2005.

1. fallenwizard

fallenwizard Registered

Hi guys,

I managed to install Cpanel on our barebones system and everything went ok. However our setup is as follows: we have a 8 IP range (6 usable) and of those 6 we have set it up as follows: 1st IP : Barebones system
    2nd IP: Mail server + WWW
    3rd IP: Name server 1
    4th IP: Name server 2

The last 3 IP's were setp in FreeBSD Jails ( we are running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE btw). Basically when we tried installing Cpanel on the jails it came out very very broken and so we were forced to install it on the barebones. Now we have everything running on the same physical machine with no Jails. :(
    The result of this is if lets say Apache gets exploited in the near future not only will our WWW be down but mail as well as bofh nameservers. In the previous scenario althoug we didnt have a pretty GUI (Cpanel) we had 'relative' security as if WWW was exploited it didnt bring down the physical machine and things such as nameservers kept running.

Is it possible to install Cpanel on FreeBSD Jails and get these jails to interact with the main barebones system on which the administrator is installed?
    Has anyone else tried installing Cpanel on a machine running multiple Jails?

Thanks!
    :)
    Marko

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, you can't. cPanel will only work (with a couple of exceptions) on a standard minimal server OS installation. Those exceptions are for VPS's such as Virtuozzo and I'm also seen it running under UML.

3. fallenwizard

fallenwizard Registered

Thanks Chirpy,

I figured out that it couldnt as it needs direct interaction with the kernel and doent like being jailed. Are there any other solutions maybe if we are running more than one service on the machine?

I am concerned mainly about security issues as i said in my previous post. If one service gets exploited and it's running in a jail i dont have to worry about the physical barebones server going down and affecting all the other services (such as mail etc..)

Thanks for the reply,

MArko