The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jailshell and Macs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does anyone have any experience with accessing the jailshell of an account using a Macintosh? A client of ours is having trouble, using OS X 10.3.1 with OpenSSH 3.6.1 . They can connect fine, but the programs are gone. /usr/bin is empty for them. When I log in, I have no trouble. Is this some compatibility problem with Jailshell?

Thanks

2. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

I just tested it on my server and it works fine with Panther 10.3.2.

3. Alterego

Alterego Member

I think they will have problems using an SSH client to a jailshelled account. It's been discussed before, I think. Jailshell doesn't support SSH-2 access in a stable format; it drops the client after the first data transfer. I haven't heard whether it's been fixed, yet. I just tried with a couple of SSH and SFTP clients on a remote virtual host and it makes the initial connection, then fails during subsequent transfers. If the user is not a super user or does not have root access, I don't think they will be able to use SSH tunnels with a jailshelled account. I'd like to be proven wrong, however. The developers I've talked with that write SSH tools have some pretty harsh words when I mention Jailshell in the same sentence! I cannot even maintain a live SSH Terminal session from a Unix host to a jailshelled account on a virtually hosted cpanel account. At least not at the moment, and without Root access.

4. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

Again - works fine here (Redhat 9 - stable WHM/cPanel release) with Panther terminal and Transmit 2.6.1 (SFTP).

5. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

We had a user experiencing a similar issue on Windows. He's using puTTY and SSHes into the server, however, if he then initiates an SCP command, the shell horks up and seems to be dead (/usr/bin becomes empty). If he logs out and then back in everything is fine until he does another SCP.

My guess is the fix cPanel put in for SFTP/SCP has something wrong as this issue didn't occur until recently.

I'll be opening a bug report shortly.