The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-jailshell: double free or corruption

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by walt, Jan 28, 2016.

1. walt

walt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, I received this error today, while trying to login remotely, using SSH:

Code:
    lock file /home/virtfs/_lock/32865 created by pid 68579 was not removed before the process died.
    *** glibc detected *** -jailshell: double free or corruption (out): 0x00000000025caba0 ***

I was logging in to try and diagnose another error: Bouncing emails when forwarding emails from one of my email accounts to a php script. The 2 errors look very similar, and might have the same cause? Here is the email error:

Code:
    The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/home2/myusername/system/services/ppipn/ipn_process/ipn_process.php
           generated by auto_sales@mydomain.com ------

*** glibc detected *** /usr/local/cpanel/bin/jailexec: double free or corruption (out): 0x0000000001c2eba0 ***

They both seem to have happened together, today. I have created a ticket with my service provider, and will post back on what they find. I have a shared account, so very limited (pretty much none) access to the interesting bits of the server. However, if this rings a bell with anyone, any input would be appreciated, even something I cannot do anything about.

Apologies, since I am unable to log in remotely, I can't run this command:
    Code:
    grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype ; grep CPANEL= /etc/cpupdate.conf ; httpd -v ; php -v ; mysql -V

#1 walt, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's possible you are triggering a resource limit. Please let us know the outcome of your support inquiry with your hosting provider.

Thank you.

3. walt

walt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks Michael, there is no update on the ticket, but there is some new info.

I checked to see if there was some resource limit I might be reaching, but did not find anything. The cPanel graph "CPU seconds over 24 hours" shows peaks of about 300 cpu seconds/24hrs. I have seen that before, while working on my Paypal integration and digital good download. However, that has been pretty much done for several weeks. Not sure where those spikes are coming from now, especially since the system was down due to the problem I am posting about.

Remote login, and forwarding emails to php scripts are both working again. Only one error shows up when logging in remotely, but the connection stays open and works fine:
    Code:
    Last login: Thu Jan 28 22:34:03 2016 from myip.hsd1.tx.comcast.net
    lock file /home/virtfs/_lock/32865 created by pid 68579 was not removed before the process died.
    After running the command to get the server info, I noticed this line:
    '-jailshell' keeps popping up in a negative context.

Code:
    [~/system/services]# grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype ; grep CPANEL= /etc/cpupdate.conf ; httpd -v ; php -v ; mysql -V

grep: /etc/redhat-release: No such file or directory
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.48.5.3
    /var/cpanel/envtype:standard
    grep: /etc/cpupdate.conf: No such file or directory
    -jailshell: httpd: command not found
    PHP 5.4.45 (cli) (built: Oct  5 2015 15:35:12)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
      with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.4, Copyright (c) 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd., and
      with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2013, by Zend Technologies
    mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.42-37.1, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1

#3 walt, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The lack of root access limits your ability to troubleshoot an issue such as this. Feel free to update this thread with the outcome of your provider's investigation when they send a response.

Thank you.

5. walt

walt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The response:
    An old bug that only showed up last week, sounds a bit fishy. Where has it been hiding for the last 6 years? :).

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could ask them to provide the case number, or request they update the version of cPanel on that system to 11.52 if they have not already done so.

Thank you.

7. walt

walt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you Michael, I just checked and cPanel has been updated to 11.52.2.5 .

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator