The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Java FTP Client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jestep, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jestep

jestep Active Member

Have the same problem but only on Java FTP clients. Connections are all using explicit FTP over TLS. Do not have CXS installed but do have CSF/LFD.

grep CallUpload /etc/pure-ftpd.conf
    #CallUploadScript yes

Also, I am able to successfully connect, but I am unable to actually upload any file.

When using a JRE 8 based client I get an error: Cannot upload file (Unknown reason) when trying to upload.

Using Java 7 gives a COuld Not Generate DH Keypair error.

Filezilla is working fine for me. There are no errors in the FTP log. Initial login works correctly, and there is no message after that in any log.

Log shows only this (IP's and host and usernames edited out):

Oct 15 09:54:31 ---- pure-ftpd: (?@IP_ADDRESS) [INFO] New connection from IP_ADDRESS
    Oct 15 09:54:31 ---- pure-ftpd: (?@IP_ADDRESS) [INFO] SSL/TLS: Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, 128 secret bits cipher
    Oct 15 09:54:34 ---- pure-ftpd: (?@IP_ADDRESS) [INFO] USERNAME is now logged in

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I moved this post to it's own thread because it's slightly different compared to the other reported issues. Could you verify the version of cPanel installed on this system? Did you only notice this issue after updating cPanel?

Thank you.

3. jestep

jestep Active Member

Thanks for splitting. Just realized they were having a different problem.

Yes, it just started after upgrading to 11.52 last night.

FTP client was getting the error using JDK 7. Did some brief checking and there were some reports of the same error being resolved after switching to JDK 8. We did that but still are unable to upload files but the previous error is gone.

Switched to proFTP and we can upload. Went back to Pure and same result as before.

I have a feeling this is more of a Java issue than a cpanel issue, but since it started as soon as whm was updated, there's something that is now conflicting that wasn't before.

4. jestep

jestep Active Member

Well, we tried switching to pro ftp and it's a complete disaster. Had so many problems with it that it's not really usable or ours is completely broken.

Getting these errors on directories named lib, literally every other directory works fine, but we can't upload into anything named lib:
    Oct 27 16:13:38 ---- proftpd[32125]: IPADDR (IPADDR[IPADDR]) - USER username: Login successful.
    Oct 27 16:13:46 ---- proftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_listfile.so): /lib/security/pam_listfile.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Oct 27 16:13:46 ---- proftpd: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_listfile.so
    Oct 27 16:13:46 ---- proftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so): /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Oct 27 16:13:46 ---- proftpd: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

Probably going to open a ticket to see if there is any resolve for this lib issue with proftp or the ftp client issue with pureftp. I'll be honest, whatever this update did basically makes our servers unusable. We froze the version at 11.50 on our other servers and they still work fine, both for pure and pro ftp.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Just to clarify, is this only happening on your specific FTP client (e.g. it's not reproducible on Filezilla)? Could you post the ticket number here if you decide to open a support ticket?

Thank you.