The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Javascript Injection

Discussion in 'Security' started by Audiopro, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Audiopro

Audiopro Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have an unmanaged VPS and limited experience of server administration.
    I have had it for over 12 months and in that time I have learnt a lot but of course there is so much more I don't know. I assumed that when I got the server, it would be supplied with all the security holes plugged and would be ready to go.

During my learning period I have read about and implemented numerous fixes and thought I had this server thing licked but this is not the case.
    Recently, a couple of my sites had all the .htm pages overwritten and a javascript redirect inserted. I done quite a bit a reading about this and in most cases, a rogue or poorly written form script is to blame. I suspected this to be the case at first, but the latest one to be hacked does not have any form scripts and only uses a Perl script for serving a randomised image display.

Root access is turned off and I change the FTP passwords regularly and they are always auto generated. I am the only person with access to the host machine and it is checked regularly for viruses, malware and other such nasties.

Please be gentle but how do I set about tracking down how an outsider can over write files on what should be a fairly secure server?