The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a certain service.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShockHosts, May 25, 2006.

1. ShockHosts

ShockHosts Well-Known Member

Hey,

I offer just Email and Hosting Services seperately. Email Services are a lot cheaper, and I want them just to be email, because people are purchasing the email services and than uploading their site as well.

How can I use cPanel to just have an Email Account, where they can just add, edit and play with Email Things?

Thanks,

Josh

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

edit the packages in the WHM > Features Manager and disable all the features which you do not like to have your end user see

3. ShockHosts

Ok, one more question.

How do I disable FTP access on certain accounts?

4. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

I believe this is not something that's supported by Cpanel. You will have the FTP access once your account has been setup on the server.

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I believe that a main account's FTP login details are stored in /etc/proftpd/username and each virtual FTP user's login details are stored in /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts

Clearing the password hash for the relevant user will prevent FTP access as authentication will always fail, however the FTP password for the main account (/etc/proftpd/username) will probably be recreated when the user's cPanel password is reset.

To prevent users from choosing really bad account passwords I don't allow users to reset passwords and handle all password resets myself. Its a bit of a hassle but a worthwhile security measure.

If you also don't allow cPanel users to reset their passwords you've have some control over their FTP password too.

6. ShockHosts

So there's no way you can disable the ftp upon account creation and change the existing accounts so they have no more ftp access?

7. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Not 'as is'.

However /scripts/wwwacct has the provision of running /scripts/postwwwacct and /scripts/postwwwacctuser, if they exist, so that general and user-specific actions can be performed once an account has been created.

You'd have to create /scripts/postwwwacct or /scripts/postwwwacctuser yourself and script them to your requirements.