The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a silly question....

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by junglecat, Oct 2, 2005.

1. junglecat

junglecat Well-Known Member

I have an el cheapo burst server that I use for experimenting and learning on so I don't break a server with actual clients on it in case I try something drastic or stupid.

So anyhow, I got this idea to create my own cpanel theme- sort of. What I figure on doing is downloading the images directory used in a cpanel theme, then replace those with my own images (same size and name as the replaced images), to match my hosting site, then overwrite the old images with the new ones. Nothing will change except the images so I don't think I'll break anything that way.

The first step is to download the images directory. The first images directory I attempted to download was the one from monsoon.

What actually happened was, some images downloaded and the rest gave an error. I opened the monsoon images directory (in SFTP) on the server to see what's up, and noticed a peculiar thing. Under "type" a few images say "GIMP Image" (obviously I use GIMP lol), but most of the images show as "Symbolic link", even though the extensions show as gif.

What is a Symbolic link and is there a way to download those images?

I did check and see that all the X theme images are downloadable (haven't checked the other themes yet). But I want those monsoon images if possible.

Thoughts? TIA :D

2. junglecat

OUCH! I just had a sudden thought. Would cpanel updates overwrite the images?

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

A symbolic link is a link to a file found elsewhere. In the case of themes, it usually links to the one in the X theme directory. You can just delete the symlink and upload your own image.

As far as updates, when cpanel is updated it doesn't always overwrite everything but once in a while it will. You can just copy a theme and give it a new name to prevent that, but then if an update includes changes that affect how it works, you may need to modify your theme to match the changes.

Either way, custom themes do involve routine maintenance.

4. junglecat

Thanks for the answer.

As for cpanel updates, I generally do those manually, so the way I could do it is, update the test server first, check cpanel to see if the images were changed, and if they were I would get ready to upload the custom images on the other servers immediately after updating each one. (unless the image changes also affected the table tags, in which case that could be a disaster).

So...... the suggestion for copying a theme is probably the best choice. It would be easy enough to copy one, but is there anything special I would have to do to make it default in the user's accounts? I'm sure it would be more complicated than just making a duplicate directory with a new name. It would have to show up in the packages and all that good stuff.

#4 junglecat, Oct 2, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Just copy the theme and it will appear in the list of themes to choose from.

You would have to go to WHM to select the default them afterwards.

6. junglecat

Wow, that easy, huh? I thought it might be a complicated process. Instead it will be fun :D

Thanks for the help!