Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

kcarectl --auto-update --gradual-rollout=auto

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nirjonadda, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nirjonadda

Nirjonadda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Getting one email about kcarectl --auto-update --gradual-rollout=auto. Please let me know that what is happened?

Code:
    Cron <root@na> /usr/bin/kcarectl --auto-update --gradual-rollout=auto

Unknown Kernel (CentOS Linux 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That email indicates that you have installed a kernel that either has no Kernelcare patches applied to it as yet, or that is unsupported by Kernelcare.

Assuming it is a supported kernel, you will receive an email every 4 hours (the default frequency that Kernelcare checks for available kernel patches) until Cloudlinux has issued a patch for that particular kernel, and your system has downloaded it and installed it.

If it is an unsupported kernel, you will receive that email message indefinitely, and should investigate whether you are running a compatible kernel to work with Kernelcare.

I always get the same messages after re-basing my kernels to the latest issued. In theory, one shouldn't need to update the kernel at all if you are using Kernelcare, but I choose to re-base once a year (because I am old and grumpy and set in my ways !)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 rpvw, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

The answer in the previous post is correct. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

4. Nirjonadda

Nirjonadda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Yes but Its kernel installed by CENTOS yum update. So Kernelcare free patches are not work any more?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

CloudLinux explains why this happens on the following thread in their support forums:

Kernelcare - Unknown Kernel

This happens when CentOS publishes a new kernel, and CloudLinux has yet to release a patch for that kernel (it can sometimes take a few days before CloudLinux publishes the update).

Thank you.

6. DriveSafe

DriveSafe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I got this message from Security Advisor, so I followed the instructions:

The system kernel is at version “3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64”, but an update is available: 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 Update the system (run “yum -y update” on the command line...)

yum updated to 3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 (CentOS 7), and now I'm getting this error every four hours. Is it because it's .2.3 version of 3.10.0-862? If so, will kcare catch up eventually or is there a way to turn off the errors? Or am I better off rolling it back somehow?

edit: After checking KernelCare Directory I see that 862 isn't on the list, so I apparently jumped the gun with the update via yum. Is the kernel safe to run anyways while I wait for kcare to catch up? Maybe I should just turn kcare off until it does to avoid the emails every 4 hours?

#6 DriveSafe, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  7. Fabio Jose

Fabio Jose Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Olá amigo
    Eu estava recebendo esta mensagem também e depois de executar "yum update" ele fez a nova atualização do kernel e a mensagem desapareceu !!!
    Obrigado !

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: