The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep email but point web traffic to separate server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by artful, Aug 14, 2007.

1. artful

artful Registered

Aug 6, 2007
    Blackburn Melbourne
    Gday All
    Slightly unusual request but I have 2 clients who want to keep their hosting with me but direct web traffic to new sites hosted on other servers. Ie all web browsing to go to ip address of the new servers. They want to keep hosting with me for everything else ie email. So I'm still hosting their domains but directing web browsers to new versions of their sites hosted on the developers' servers if that makes sense.

I assume this is unusual but not impossible and I assume I need to "Edit DNS zone"? Can anyone tell me how to do this? I tried by changing A record entries to the new IP address and email access was interrupted so I hastily reverted and am seeking help.

I notice a record which is
    www 14400 IN CNAME
    but I'm not sure if this is the part that governs browsing on www and just domain name?

I've searched but I can't find a solution as most stuff refers to keeping the web traffic but hosting email on another server which is the opposite of what I need to do. If anyone can help or point me somewhere to do more research that would be a great help

Nick Sibbing