Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Keep server anonymous behind cloudflare?

Discussion in 'Security' started by maestroc, Nov 12, 2018.

1. maestroc

maestroc Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I am setting up a new server that will use Cloudflare for DNS and DDOS protection. We want it to be as "anonymous" as possible so that the IP address of the server will never be visible in any way. We are going to use a third party SMTP server for that part of things so that mail will not be sent out from the server itself.

My question is, are there any special steps I will need to make to the server during this setup phase to keep it from revealing its IP address or primary domain name?

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    As long as NONE of your dns records ever point to you server ip you should be fine. However you should close your ports 80 and 443 in the firewall and whitelist the CF ip ranges.

Not even ftp dns, cpanel etc should point directly to your server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The advice provided by @GOT is correct, the only thing I will add is that if you secure the hostname which would include WHM/cPanel you need to keep in mind that you and your users would most likely HAVE to access WHM/cPanel using the IP address as the proxying of the IP causes some issues with WHM/cPanel's ability to load

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...